This One Has To Be Rare:

Rob

A single axle Mack R model dump truck with a natural aspirated 237 engine!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mack-1977-R-Model-Dump-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aad2b2b3eQQitemZ320732867390QQptZCommercialQ5fTrucks

I'm afraid he doesn't quite know what he's got there.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup, looks like someone slipped an older END673 and transmission into the truck to me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I also see it has the 500 luberfiner oil filter meaning it is a maybe 1960 or older block. It may have been a glider kit.

I guess I'll never know unless I ask, I see it mentioned often...what is a "glider", or "glider kit"

I guess I'll never know unless I ask, I see it mentioned often...what is a "glider", or "glider kit"

They are a new cab and chassis minus engine, trans, rears, and driveline. Usually had a radiator that was adaptable for many engines.

Rob

They are a new cab and chassis minus engine, trans, rears, and driveline. Usually had a radiator that was adaptable for many engines.

Rob

Were they done at the factory? Or a dealership? So, the crux of it is that the parts you "see" are new, but the mechanicals are original, and is this a negative?!?

Were they done at the factory? Or a dealership? So, the crux of it is that the parts you "see" are new, but the mechanicals are original, and is this a negative?!?

Not a bad thing at all. Much less expensive than purchasing a new truck using a drivetrain of your choosing. Gliders were built at the factory and finished by either a dealership to the customer's desire, or by the customer themselves. They were a cost effective solution for a basically new truck at less cost.

Rob

You never do know till you ask,and Rob is quite right,a Glider is just basically a new truck without engine,trans rears etc. they were once more popular then they are today,but the new epa laws etc. have a lot to do with that.Many were purchased to re-finish a wrecked or obsolete truck,just took all you needed from the donor truck,and add it to the new frame rails,at one time you could even have the frame pre-drilled for a certain set-up,so it was basically an all bolt on operation.......Mark

post-5836-0-63371000-1311548631_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Kinda like the "BCR" trucks(a B model into an R model).

One question: Did they have left side starter back in the 60's. I'm thinking it's a 2 stick 6 spd, not a duplex. Someone might have slipped that old motor in to replace a blown up 237? If it is a 6 spd, I bet it's a real dog with that ol 180 hp motor.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Wasn't there a factory kit to up date a B to an R style model? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Kinda like the "BCR" trucks(a B model into an R model).

One question: Did they have left side starter back in the 60's. I'm thinking it's a 2 stick 6 spd, not a duplex. Someone might have slipped that old motor in to replace a blown up 237? If it is a 6 spd, I bet it's a real dog with that ol 180 hp motor.

My '63 F607 has the left side starter. If it is a glider, I would assume the duplex came along with the 673 engine.

Gregg