Going To Look At A "valueliner":

Rob

Another guy stops by the shop this afternoon asking if I had a Mack engine for sale, (I don't). He tells me his R model started knocking a couple months ago and needs a "motor". Says it's a 1982 model. Anyway I'm going to look it next week and may take it off his hands as he says it's been replaced already. I don't know anything about, or what kind of shape it's in, just that it is red, and needs a paint job. It does have the "Valueliner" badges on the hood I'm told.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It's pretty much the same thing as a Mack Western mid hood R model.

Yes, I've seen several of them. Don't even know if this one is a tractor, (assume so) or straight truck as the guy is a grain hauler.

All the "Valueliner" series trucks I've seen in the past have a multi piece grille shell where my western R models have a single piece stamping. I always assumed Mack switched vendors and went with several less expensive pieces, or ease of repair in the event of damage. Never have known for sure. Also all "Valueliner" series trucks I've seen have been straight frame rail trucks and not splayed at the front.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to tell you guys I went to look at this truck over the weekend. What a piece of garbage ready for the yard. The block has extra ventilation in the side where the number four big end of the rod exited, (the piston and upper parts are still there) the turbocharger has been removed and an adapter fashioned to cover the hole, exhaust flex tube connected from the intake to the air cleaner outlet, a cab that is barely on the frame eaten up by fertilizer, rear rear axle tube corroded through and leaking, and a really "friendly" hood that waves at you in the breeze. Only really good thing about the truck was power steering which I assumed worked, and nice recap tires on the steer that tried to be passed off as virgin. Also had two 12VDC "rebuilt" batteries which were also passed off a new.

Believe it or not, it actually started and ran on five cylinders blowing oil out of the busted block. The truck was built with a 10 speed, but had a five speed Mack trans installed.

Said he'd take $1250.00 for it which was less than scrap value.

I offered half and he was insulted so I left.

Rob