Trucking News: What's a Good Driver?

BMT Forum Bot

My opinion of a Good driver is one that is safety oriented. I've always believed safety first the load can wait. Not let anyone lift anything over the truck cab or have a boom over it. Does a good walk around and if they can fix the small things like lights or fuses, Grease the truck or take it in to grease regularly. Compliant. log it legal. We all cheat at one point in time. I have gotten less and less on that. With all these sue happy nuts I want to make some scumbag attorney look and look for a log violation 8 months back. Not abusive of the equipment. To much to really list

Just funnin'!,but i agree,todays drivers leave a lot to be desired! professional courtesy is almost non-existant anymore,and the days of the do it youself driver (unless you're an O/O) are gone too.i remember waiting in line to get a trailer tire repaired,guy in front of me needed a headlight,guy in front of him needed a C.B. antenna! 30 day driving school rambo's,know everything,been everywhere! when i started,my dad and grandad always told me to look for an ol' timer if i ever needed help,never went wrong,todays drivers dont even seem to want help or advise...topic seems to be how many jobs,and how many accidents they've had! If i were to take a driver under my wing,start from scratch,it would be MY WAY or the highway,and it would be at least a year of riding with me before i'd even think about cutting them loose on the general public!.........getting to be fewer and fewer safe professional drivers everyday in my opinion...............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Just funnin'!,but i agree,todays drivers leave a lot to be desired! professional courtesy is almost non-existant anymore,and the days of the do it youself driver (unless you're an O/O) are gone too.i remember waiting in line to get a trailer tire repaired,guy in front of me needed a headlight,guy in front of him needed a C.B. antenna! 30 day driving school rambo's,know everything,been everywhere! when i started,my dad and grandad always told me to look for an ol' timer if i ever needed help,never went wrong,todays drivers dont even seem to want help or advise...topic seems to be how many jobs,and how many accidents they've had! If i were to take a driver under my wing,start from scratch,it would be MY WAY or the highway,and it would be at least a year of riding with me before i'd even think about cutting them loose on the general public!.........getting to be fewer and fewer safe professional drivers everyday in my opinion...............Mark

You got that right even when I was a company driver I always did little things like lights. Hell I went to get fuel filters on mine at a ta since I broke my filter wrench and was told 5 hours!!!! went next door to speedco 20 mins in and out. I atleast hope when I get a driver for my truck doing Heavy Haul they should have experience. I will probably ride with for a week or 2 and i'll know what they can do in the first day or 2. We shall see but there will be no going in the shop for a headlight. Filters maybe.