Question for you truck experts

tkobes43

Many of you know i just recently got that 07 International 4400 about a month ago. Im running into issues. When i go to crank the truck up in the morning nothing happens. It goes through its gauge calibration and stuff but when i turn the key to crank the engine all i hear is click. I try again click. and again click... Some times the 3rd time it will fire up but not always. I was stuck at my buddies house for a hour cause i couldn't get the dang thing started! Then after trying to start it with the clicking noise and shit the starter started to smoke like a bitch. Smelt like burnt marshmallows. I'm wondering what could be the issue! The starter is only a few months old, maybe 5 at the most!!! I check all the connections and they're all tight! If you have any idea whats wrong please let me know... I don't feel like spending 700 dollars to get it checked at international...

Tom

Another thing i forgot to add! When i turn the truck off after driving it, all my lights flash on the outside, head lights, parking lights, etc. It does it 2 or 3 times lasting about 2-4 seconds each... Its really odd..... Starting to think its a electrical issue? Ground maybe? I don't know.. To many things it can be.

Edited by TBone

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Its annoying as hell!!! Wanna get the dang thing fixed dammit.

Tom

Typically in starter motor that is caused by lack of current flow to the field windings of the starter. I don't know if your engine uses a permanent magnet type gear reduction starter, or conventional. Check your electrical connections first as they are most likely suspect, then evaluate the magnetic contactor, (solenoid switch). You can do this by removing the cable that powers the starter motor and with a multimeter across the terminals, (input, and output) turn the ignition switch and there should be very close to nothing as far as voltage reading.

Given that you stated the starter motor was physically smoking is almost a dead giveaway this is probably not any good but bad grounding can cause this to burn up.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Typically in starter motor that is caused by lack of current flow to the field windings of the starter. I don't know if your engine uses a permanent magnet type gear reduction starter, or conventional. Check your electrical connections first as they are most likely suspect, then evaluate the magnetic contactor, (solenoid switch). You can do this by removing the cable that powers the starter motor and with a multimeter across the terminals, (input, and output) turn the ignition switch and there should be very close to nothing as far as voltage reading.

Given that you stated the starter motor was physically smoking is almost a dead giveaway this is probably not any good but bad grounding can cause this to burn up.

Rob

Rob,

Read my edit i made in my first post! Does that seem like a bad ground/electrical issue when the lights flash?

Rob,

Read my edit i made in my first post! Does that seem like a bad ground/electrical issue when the lights flash?

Very possibly a ground issue at the root.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Many of you know i just recently got that 07 International 4400 about a month ago. Im running into issues. When i go to crank the truck up in the morning nothing happens. It goes through its gauge calibration and stuff but when i turn the key to crank the engine all i hear is click. I try again click. and again click... Some times the 3rd time it will fire up but not always. I was stuck at my buddies house for a hour cause i couldn't get the dang thing started! Then after trying to start it with the clicking noise and shit the starter started to smoke like a bitch. Smelt like burnt marshmallows. I'm wondering what could be the issue! The starter is only a few months old, maybe 5 at the most!!! I check all the connections and they're all tight! If you have any idea whats wrong please let me know... I don't feel like spending 700 dollars to get it checked at international...

Tom

Another thing i forgot to add! When i turn the truck off after driving it, all my lights flash on the outside, head lights, parking lights, etc. It does it 2 or 3 times lasting about 2-4 seconds each... Its really odd..... Starting to think its a electrical issue? Ground maybe? I don't know.. To many things it can be.

Also make sure that your motor is grounded to your frame

Well its the starter fellas! Just bought one from my local diesel shop, Supposed to be better then the one i had on it before. I had a Leece Neville on the truck... Never heard of that brand but i bought a Delco for $366.89 dollars. Never heard of Leece Neville, so maybe the Delco will be better!! Ill keep you guys updated on the progress..

Tom