The water wagon:

Since the tank was just used for water, it probably has an open vent of some sort on it somewhere,eh? I was just thinking of a picture I saw of a new stainless steel tanker that the sides had collapsed on because the driver forgot to open the vent when he was unloading.

It is a single compartment tank with three vents in the top actually. These can be closed with pipe plugs and are but there is one single vent inside the weldment on the top that is a pipe to drain any overfill to the ground. There is a manhole access in the top and the cover is missing so it is constantly "vented".

The tank is old and was severely pitted at one time. It appears to have been sandblasted clean before repainting but the suction pump is about 1958-1960 model years vintage. The tank probably is too but no way to tell. There are a couple of small screw run into the tank where some of the deep "pittings" were leaking also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

They're here- earlier than I expected. Saw this out the kitchen window this morning, so I ran out on the back porch and got a picture.

Be careful when you pull the covers up tonight.

Where they like to cuddle up to sleep at will give you either chills, or thrills depending on what type of guy you are.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

They're here- earlier than I expected. Saw this out the kitchen window this morning, so I ran out on the back porch and got a picture.

The one I saw was wearing a blue vest but is otherwise identical.

I take it y'all have seen this or something similar, but here goes...

Jim

Spent some time this afternoon with a couple guys that know the operation of this type of truck well. Also spent some time with KidNV in it's operation and discussing world events. Learned a lot from both conversations. Have figgered out the operation and placements of the valves for the function desired and how to reverse them for spraying vs filling. This newfound knowlege will come in handy next month when I'm driving in the parade prior to our family reunion and will soak the livin shit out some smartass on the sideline of the parade route when they don't expect it. Why? Just because I can. We also plan to lime the pasture again and I'll soak it good with the truck.

Got the stack reinstalled, cleaned the cab out a bit, took inventory of the contents of the sleeper and found a couple of nozzels for the firehose and misc. spare and consumable parts. I've got to give Roy credit as the truck was set up properly for the job it was built for. I wish he would have been able to use it more.

Found some additional parts that will need replaced. In the steering column, every universal joint is loose and the slider joint on the actual input shaft to the steering gear is beyond shot. It is like the shoes are actually gone inside. They may have been nylon and disintegrated but I don't know. Also was playing with the tag axle. The adjustable regulator on the dash is apparently defective as I can only get the pressure to 40psi and no higher. Also in regards to this lift axle, the quick release valve supplying air to the bags must be defective as when the air is let off, it must slowly bleed back through the TW1 valve on the dash to raise the axle. As I continue to use it up and down, it also raises higher when let off on the air. Found a couple more stratoflex lines on the emergency side of the spring brake chambers leaking also. Will probably replace most of this with nylon line due to cost. And it that's not enough, there are three air lines under the truck that route air to the water discharge nozzels that are either burned, abraded, or cut due to routing. These will need to be repaired/replaced also.

Rob

I noticed that too.

Wonderful, now these creatures that were once found only in Nevada have gained a foothold in central Illinois.

In a year or 2 they'll be over here in Virginia.

Great...

Dernit Tom, thas my cousin Voltaire from Nebulla star cluster 14. You put her down right now, and watch where you put your fingers, shes sensitive! randyp
  • Like 1

Dernit Tom, thas my cousin Voltaire from Nebulla star cluster 14. You put her down right now, and watch where you put your fingers, shes sensitive! randyp

I couldn't catch the big one that was in the tree- if I had she'd be smoking in the grill now.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Spent some time this afternoon with a couple guys that know the operation of this type of truck well. Also spent some time with KidNV in it's operation and discussing world events. Learned a lot from both conversations. Have figgered out the operation and placements of the valves for the function desired and how to reverse them for spraying vs filling. This newfound knowlege will come in handy next month when I'm driving in the parade prior to our family reunion and will soak the livin shit out some smartass on the sideline of the parade route when they don't expect it. Why? Just because I can. We also plan to lime the pasture again and I'll soak it good with the truck.

Got the stack reinstalled, cleaned the cab out a bit, took inventory of the contents of the sleeper and found a couple of nozzels for the firehose and misc. spare and consumable parts. I've got to give Roy credit as the truck was set up properly for the job it was built for. I wish he would have been able to use it more.

Found some additional parts that will need replaced. In the steering column, every universal joint is loose and the slider joint on the actual input shaft to the steering gear is beyond shot. It is like the shoes are actually gone inside. They may have been nylon and disintegrated but I don't know. Also was playing with the tag axle. The adjustable regulator on the dash is apparently defective as I can only get the pressure to 40psi and no higher. Also in regards to this lift axle, the quick release valve supplying air to the bags must be defective as when the air is let off, it must slowly bleed back through the TW1 valve on the dash to raise the axle. As I continue to use it up and down, it also raises higher when let off on the air. Found a couple more stratoflex lines on the emergency side of the spring brake chambers leaking also. Will probably replace most of this with nylon line due to cost. And it that's not enough, there are three air lines under the truck that route air to the water discharge nozzels that are either burned, abraded, or cut due to routing. These will need to be repaired/replaced also.

Rob

Yes, you'd best do some experimenting with that lift axle. I had one on a steerable dolly I used to pull. It had a dial on the dash that you turned to put more or less pressure on it, but I don't remember how much pressure you normally put on it. I just let it barely touch the ground.

I do remember my wife's cousin having one on a GMC tandem dump truck, and the first time he used it he blew both tires out- brand new tires- because it was carrying too much load.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Since it is never gonna be tagged commercial I would pull the tag axle off of it. I run a hundred pounds in mine for 18 to 19k it varies another truck I ran 50 as I got to light on the steer. Keep in mind to light on the tires and you'll lock them down first time you hit the brakes. I'd say start out at 40 and go from there. See if the ass end feels light or the front end.

Dern Volvo Space ships! Shop said "clutch" bushings went out, they had whole dash out of it. They said I needed to slow down more before Re-entry. I cant help it, entries just excite me. randyp

Yes but when the alignment bushings go out, the entry gets real "sloppy".

Rob

Dern Volvo Space ships! Shop said "clutch" bushings went out, they had whole dash out of it. They said I needed to slow down more before Re-entry. I cant help it, entries just excite me. randyp

Woo-Woo! i like" Re-entry" myself!...................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'm usually told to stop and try back some other time.

• Like 1

Jim