Looking at buying a 1962 b61 Mack. What to look for?

I'm looking at buying a 62 B61 mack thats a couples of hours from me. I've never owned a mack but have several other old cars, trucks and tractors. Without be familiar with these old trucks I was wondering if I needed to look out for? Suchs things as how it runs, rust on the body and frame. Its an auction so I'm not going to see it drive down the road. What is a good price for a B61 thats all original but needs to be restored. Its suppose to run and drive. Thanks JJ

It is really difficult to tell you what to look for, unless "you" know what you want to do with the truck once you own it. Be assured that restoring a B model Mack is NOT a cheap endeavor. Even if you don't have to do any engine work, figure on spending 20 to 30k to make it a nice truck. These trucks rust at the bottom of the back of the cab and the floor. Check these out carefully. I can go on and on about different things to look at. Brakes, brake drums, engine hoses, radiator core, air compressor, governor, air lines, tires, electrical wiring, etc. It goes on and on!

If you are looking to buy this truck at auction, then i wouldn't pay more than $2k for it. Hopefully, you are located on the east coast or close by, so you can find some good decent used parts. If you are on the west coast like me, then you better hold on the your ass, because there are very few parts trucks to rob parts off of. That means buying new, or having parts shipped. Check out the prices for parts at Watts B model store if you haven't already.

Good luck in whatever you decide. B model Macks are cool, but they are not for sissys. (No insult intended)

I agree with Dennis M, also check the front pillers for rust and missing interior parts. I would say even less if running condition is unknown. It will be at least $1000 for 6 decent used tires if its been sitting for awhile and transport costs. You will need at least a 14,000K trailer and 1 ton to haul it home.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I'm new to this also, but make sure it has a title. One pricy thing on these b models are the wing Windows or vent Windows see what shape they are in because its going to take a few bucks just to get those redone. Like the other guys said look for the amount of missing parts also.

Rudy