intro

balkyboo

hey everyone......I'm from Jamaica and I'm thinking of getting a mack truck to do some

Heavy hauling with a dump truck in our bauxite mines where the terrain is ruff. Its a toss up between 2 models a 96 rd688s with an e7 350 with camel back suspensions and 8 l.l deep reduction manual transmission. Or a 95 mack ch613 with a e7 350 engine with mack differential with Hendrickson suspension....I think the Hendrickson is rubber. It has a 10 speed transmisson .

Which is stronger and can handle the ruff terrain with 30 tonnes to help me decide which one to buy......thanks

Welcome to the jungle.

I would say the 96 Rd. what else are the specs. What gear ratio,and axle size? 38k,44k. Last time I took a truck to the port was a Brand new international. This thing was built esp for one of the mines. had 58k rears and a 23k steer. It was also a tractor. Idk the ratio or the horsepower but if memory serves it had an 8LL. Was surprised when I opened the door and the steering wheel was on the right side. Knowing the weights you guys pull down there and also the roads I would look for nothing smaller then 44k rears, Good luck and hope it helped.

hey slpwlker......well I know that both rears are over 44K and can handle the loads...but I'm skeptical about the rubber blocks in terms of maintenance but it has the walking beam....are they better than camel backs....also I'm not sure of the ratios...I can get that info because I know it's important...but I know..the 8 LL is a strong transmission and can get the truck out of any hole easily..it's just that the CH613 is in much better condition ready for work...whilst I'll have to do some work on the RD688s...also...is the fuller 10 speed transmission as strong as the 8 LL. thanks for your assistance.

Idk much about the walking beam but the Camelback is a better suspension. more articulation. if articulation isn't an issuse then I would think the walking beam would work. Bottom line is this what does your pocket book say. 10 speeds are alright I like the 8ll for the deep reduction but both are great transmissions.

• Like 1