National Speedway reunion @ E Town

41chevy

sounds like a blast,,,thanks for posting ..too far for me.didnt know you had a 55 chevy,,,ive had 4 of them..lol.bob

My pop built the car in 1962 and ran a 301 Chevy, a 4 speed and a 3/4 ton GM truck rear. Ran d/gas at Is;lip Speedway and Hamptons Drag a way. I bought from him in 1971 and put in a 427 chevy, 4 speed and changed the rear to a 56 Olds with 5:13.s in it Put a Bill Thomas I beam in it too. Over the years its gotten lightened to 2990 pounds. Last trip to the track was in 1980 and last street race was in 1986 on Hempstead Turnpike in Bethpage. Fogged the engine, took out the batteries and closed the garage door. and never looked at it til last year.

Bee on Video 's movie on Drag Racing on L.I. has shots of it at Islip in 1964 at the 45 second mark and there are photos of me racing it at National in March of 1973 with snow on the ground at the Super Stock National Meet. on the Bob Snyder Drag Photo Site.

Fast for it's day, now a new car will out run it in the 1/4, but it's still fast, ill handling, hard to stop, brutal to run and has zero amenities. . . the peak of 1970 gasser technology :) Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks Paul for posting this. I remember George Montgomery when he ran a 33 and a 41 Willys. Those were indeed the good ole days of racing. I used to build both model cars of his Willys. I won first place in a model contest with the 33 Willys in about 1971. I hope you will post a photo of your 55 when you can. I know what it looks and feels like when the front end is coming off the ground in a 55 Chevy. I got the opportunity to do so in 1965. I was 12 years old at the time and it was a thrill. I guess because my brother oppted to ride in the back seat. It had a balanced 265 V8, Muncie 4 speed with 4.56 rear. It came off the ground at all shifts but 4th, but it was quick.

mike

• Like 1

Thanks Paul for posting this. I remember George Montgomery when he ran a 33 and a 41 Willys. Those were indeed the good ole days of racing. I used to build both model cars of his Willys. I won first place in a model contest with the 33 Willys in about 1971. I hope you will post a photo of your 55 when you can. I know what it looks and feels like when the front end is coming off the ground in a 55 Chevy. I got the opportunity to do so in 1965. I was 12 years old at the time and it was a thrill. I guess because my brother oppted to ride in the back seat. It had a balanced 265 V8, Muncie 4 speed with 4.56 rear. It came off the ground at all shifts but 4th, but it was quick.

mike

I'm undoing a lot of hacked stuff on it. Over the years it's run small blocks, a few big blocks, a 302 GMC 6 cylinder and then the 427 was put in it. Got "extra" motor mounts to remove, the hammer modified fire wall to fix and it seems that each time the engine came out the shifter hole in the floor got bigger.

George Montgomery is still at his speed shop in Dayton Ohio, in fact they are building my Mustang engine. Ohio George, Garlits, Arnie Beswick and Jack Merkel were all the ones that I like to follow.

Pop , my uncle and I went to the opening day at National Speedway in 1966 800 entries and over 14000 people showed up . . .life was good!

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

sounds like a blast,,,thanks for posting ..too far for me.didnt know you had a 55 chevy,,,ive had 4 of them..lol.bob

My pop built the car in 1962 and ran a 301 Chevy, a 4 speed and a 3/4 ton GM truck rear. Ran d/gas at Is;lip Speedway and Hamptons Drag a way. I bought from him in 1971 and put in a 427 chevy, 4 speed and changed the rear to a 56 Olds with 5:13.s in it Put a Bill Thomas I beam in it too. Over the years its gotten lightened to 2990 pounds. Last trip to the track was in 1980 and last street race was in 1986 on Hempstead Turnpike in Bethpage. Fogged the engine, took out the batteries and closed the garage door. and never looked at it til last year.

Bee on Video 's movie on Drag Racing on L.I. has shots of it at Islip in 1964 at the 45 second mark and there are photos of me racing it at National in March of 1973 with snow on the ground at the Super Stock National Meet. on the Bob Snyder Drag Photo Site.

Fast for it's day, now a new car will out run it in the 1/4, but it's still fast, ill handling, hard to stop, brutal to run and has zero amenities. . . the peak of 1970 gasser technology :) Paul

wow how cool is that,,,not many people can say that,,,thanks for sharing,,,and good luck with it,,,keep us posted...bob

Cool! This is always a great event for the track. It's awesome seeing the floppers and slingshot rails.

Will it be a static display or you going to make some passes? Just make sure your harnesses are up to date and you have a Snell 2005 and newer helmet if you plan to run it.

I work at the track as a show judge so I'll be there Saturday for the Vette Show and Sunday for the Street Rod/Musclecar car show.

I'll have to wander over into the pits to check out the '55.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

I'm undoing a lot of hacked stuff on it. Over the years it's run small blocks, a few big blocks, a 302 GMC 6 cylinder and then the 427 was put in it. Got "extra" motor mounts to remove, the hammer modified fire wall to fix and it seems that each time the engine came out the shifter hole in the floor got bigger.

George Montgomery is still at his speed shop in Dayton Ohio, in fact they are building my Mustang engine. Ohio George, Garlits, Arnie Beswick and Jack Merkel were all the ones that I like to follow.

Pop , my uncle and I went to the opening day at National Speedway in 1966 800 entries and over 14000 people showed up . . .life was good!

That's interesting, sounds like most all GM motors has seen that engine bay. LOL I followed Tommy Ivo, Don " Swamp Rat" Garlit, Ed " The Ace " McCulloch, Gene Snow, Tom " The MonGoose" McEwen, Shirley " Cha Cha Mulldowney, Eddie Hill, Dick & Kim LaHaie, Dino Don Nickolson, Bill " Grumpy" Jenkins, Bob Glidden, and last but never least my best guy was Ronnie Sox. I sure miss him.

mike

Cool! This is always a great event for the track. It's awesome seeing the floppers and slingshot rails.

Will it be a static display or you going to make some passes? Just make sure your harnesses are up to date and you have a Snell 2005 and newer helmet if you plan to run it.

I work at the track as a show judge so I'll be there Saturday for the Vette Show and Sunday for the Street Rod/Musclecar car show.

I'll have to wander over into the pits to check out the '55.

Static only. It's laid up too long to not check the entire drive train and do seals, fire system, fluids and ? Need a new harness, helmet, cage instead of a 3 point bar and the wrinkle walls are 27 years old, Probably kill em with a few good dry hops :):) Last run a NYNS was 10.26 @128 mph

My wife found my AHRA Funny car license I earned in 1972 at NYNS. Most of our crew is coming on sunday except Bob Barry, who helped me qualify for my F/C license.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Static only. It's laid up too long to not check the entire drive train and do seals, fire system, fluids and ? Need a new harness, helmet, cage instead of a 3 point bar and the wrinkle walls are 27 years old, Probably kill em with a few good dry hops :):) Last run a NYNS was 10.26 @128 mph

My wife found my AHRA Funny car license I earned in 1972 at NYNS. Most of our crew is coming on sunday except Bob Barry, who helped me qualify for my F/C license.

Holy mackle! I'm outa' likes, but that's bitchin'!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Grew up watching the likes of Dave Strickler,Jungle Jim (and Pam of course) at Atco,NJ got to meet Bill Jenkins,Don Garlits,Tom McEwen and several others,i just don't really care for what drag racing has progressed into these days,guess that's why i'm such a big fan of the "nostalgia" racers and cars...........nothing cooler than a front engine rail!..............................Mark

post-5836-0-29808200-1373763904_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-88710800-1373763988_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I used to go to Richmond Dragway a lot in the 70's, and once in a while to New London and Suffolk. I always liked watching the 10 to 12 second cars more than funny cars or top fuelers.

This 69 Camaro was one of my favorites, owned and driven by Wayne Mangum. He used to be at Richmond all the time. Had a big block in it, powerglide transmission, one carb,and ran 9.90's. I heard later he put the running gear in an Opel GT or something, was running 9.30's or 40's but it got away from him at a track in North Carolina and pretty much destroyed the car, never saw him after that.

post-1374-0-80615700-1373764586_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here's another car i've seen at Richmond Dragway. There was another Camaro about the same model- 67,68, or 69- that was called ''Outlaw", I don't know if they were friends, rivals, or even knew each other but they used to put on a great show when they raced each other. They were 10 second cars.

I found these pictures on a site called drag racer reunion, or something like that. Lots of pictures from various tracks from the 70's and 80's.

post-1374-0-48294600-1373844295_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Great Pics OD! Nothing better than classic racing Camaro's!

I believe both cars are actually 1967 unless some parts have been swapped.

The 1967 Camaro had the vent window on the door and 68/69 had one piece door glass (no vent window).

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Great Pics OD! Nothing better than classic racing Camaro's!

I believe both cars are actually 1967 unless some parts have been swapped.

The 1967 Camaro had the vent window on the door and 68/69 had one piece door glass (no vent window).

Jim

Took the words right outta' my mouth! easiest way to spot a first gen. Camaro 67' had "wing windows" 68'69' did not,67'parking light lenses are round,68' are shaped like a bar of soap,but then you get into the RS,SS,etc. and that's a whole different ballgame!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Challenger was nice, but I traded in a special ordered '71 Duster for it. I think the Duster was better. 340 six pack, 4 speed with bench seat, no stripes, left tailpipe removed and Rallye wheels with White Walls. Grand ma green with a dark green interior. First day of owning it, I removed the left tail pipe tip , , ,Q ship style, looked like a slant six bottom of the line Duster. That car I missed. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Took the words right outta' my mouth! easiest way to spot a first gen. Camaro 67' had "wing windows" 68'69' did not,67'parking light lenses are round,68' are shaped like a bar of soap,but then you get into the RS,SS,etc. and that's a whole different ballgame!.............Mark

Another easy way to tell the '67 was the lack of side marker lights. '68 and up had to have them by law.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)