B-73 Restoration

25 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Right???????? 

Kinda like drawing on The Mona Lisa with a Sharpie.    In reality, truck's one of a small handful of those that'll ever look like that . Not easy finding someone to make you're vision reality, when to this point Matt was pretty much in control of the outcome.    I know I'd be a bundle of nerves.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a duplex get some old silicone in the drain for the front input shaft bearing, it was running oil down to the bearing but couldn’t drain back into the case , and was running oil out the front input, I pulled the cap and blew all the feed and drain holes out , no leaks. Just an idea., could the restriction passed on. And let it be draining the way it should??? .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I had a weird thing happen with the transmission this week. Went out with the truck two Saturdays ago to put some miles on it. Get back and I smell some gear oil as I get out. I don't think much of it and go over to my neighbors for a few beers. Come back about two hours later and as I'm locking up the truck I see a huge puddle of gear oil under the bell housing. Pour some speedy dry on it and put a drip pan under it loaded with more speedy dry to catch what's dripping out. Next day.  I clean up the mess and start investigating and from what I see it's coming from behind the clutch brake, on the counter shaft. I run it and watch and it's still dripping. I didn't have time to work on it then, so I drain it down to stop the leak. I thought I could get at it through the lower opening on the bell housing and change the seal that way. Nope, not enough room to get up in there and pull the parts down. The only way to fix this is to pull the transmission out and now that it's all together I can't do that in my yard. I was able to get a friend to allow me access to his shop and transmission jack. That was supposed to happen this morning. Late yesterday in preparation for today, I refilled the transmission and packed up my tools to do this. I was able to get a new seal and a speedy sleeve to replace the old ones. I figure screw it I'll take for a ride for the hell of it. Get back late yesterday after my joy ride and slide a clean drip pan under it. No drips/leaks, even after a few hours. Call my friend and ask for a raincheck due to work popping up for today. Check the drip pan this morning, no drips. Screw it, I take the truck to work, about a 35 mile run, and park it. Before I leave on my trip, I check the pavement under the truck, again dry. Come back seven hours later, still dry!!

I can't figure this one out. It hemorrhaged almost a gallon of gear oil in my yard and now it's ok?? It's dry not even a drop hanging, ready to drip.

On a bright note, I did finally get to drive the truck at night, with all the lights working.

IMG_1298.jpeg

tri-plex having a push clutch;; throw out fork has the finger on bottom which pushes against lower counter shaft equipped with clutch brake assembly ??? old 3 piece clutch brake (2 fiber 1 steel intermediate plate ) or updated 1 piece brake ??  input shaft have the hole with short pin acting as seal ?  have seen clogged vents , none of which where bad enough to pressurize transmission to point of pumping that much oil then stop.  but clogged vent will be #1 thought 

• Like 2

My very worn out, loose, clanky, triplex leaks from the aux shift arms.  At least that is one main spot that runs down the side.  I'm sure the o rings on those shafts are likely rock hard.

Thus the reason I want to replace it with something.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

mine im sure are the same way,,,especially since trans has been sitting outside for a long long time.im fixing on looking at them before i put it in,trans was supposably, rebuilt a while back,..bob

11 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I don’t think so. I drained a little bit less than 4 gallons out of it. Capacity is a little over four. The only thing plumbed into it is the PTO/ pump assembly and there’s a 1/4” drain hole in the PTO case so it can’t transfer there, it would just drain out. I don’t think it was pressurized, there’s a big vent on the top cover and the main stick isn’t air tight. Still dry tonight. Tomorrow I’ll drain it again and put fresh gear oil in it.

The weekend is shaping up that I might make the Bolton show on Sunday. My boss has the big DreamRide weekend he sponsors for his Special Olympics fundraiser. It’s a three day event and I think I’m going to skate on Sunday.

had this truck been running daily in the mud/dirt etc top vent being clogged ;pressure slim chance. the 73 in better then new factory clean = no clogged vent . strange things do happen in the world of mechanics. slight drip : maybe. massive amount which stops with transmission still holding oil ?? just puts that slight fear going down the road :will it happen again, miles from house". foreign matter finds it's way between seal THEN leaves ?? 

side note: received a picture showing  one of Mahan's  Macks heading up rte61;; trip to Matt 's in Bethlehem ?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

and matt,,,,love those side markers,,,,great touch,,,must have missed the post,,,when you put them there,,,bob

The ones on the bed? They were original to it. Thinking about adding some more, but I may just leave it as is. There all new LED types and all fresh wiring.

• Like 1