Mack Remembrance – Walter M. May

kscarbel2

Walter M. May, 97, Mack Trucks Engineer and co-inventor of the truckmaker’s advanced Maxidyne high-torque rise engine technology

Walter M. May, age 97, of Luther Crest Retirement Community, South Whitehall Township, formerly of Harris York, Macungie, died March 27, 2015, at home.

He was the husband of the late A. Hazel May.

Walter worked as an engineer and C.O.O. at Mack Trucks, retiring as Vice President of the Engineering Department.

He held many engine and transmission patents that are still used in truck manufacturing 60 years later.

Born in New York City, he was the son of the late Walter H. and Janet (Forbes) May.

He was a 1939 graduate of M.I.T.

Like his former colleague Zenon C.R. Hansen, Walter was an Eagle Scout.

During World War Two, he worked for the Civil Defense Department.

He and his wife Hazel were benefactors at M.I.T., Cedar Crest College and Lehigh Valley Medical Center.

Survivors: Daughter: Susan wife of Paul Trexler of Seminole, FL., Step-Sons: Malcolm W. Heckman and his wife Joanne of Galloway Twp., NJ and Ronald B. Heckman and his wife Pamela of Emmaus, Fiancée: Carol R. Cook of Topton, 10 Grandchildren, 20 Great-Grandchildren and 1 Great-Great-Grandchild.

Walter M. May.jpg

Walter M. May..jpg

April 6, 2015

I was deeply saddened to hear of Walter May's passing.

I had the honor of passing by Walter in the halls at Mack and the Tech Center, and will remember him as the father of the Maxidyne.

Frank Bio
(former Mack Trucks engineer)

March 30, 2015

I was deeply saddened to learn of Walter's passing. He was a big supporter of our efforts at Mack International and he and Hazel frequently entertained our major overseas distributors in their home. The world was a far better place with them in it.

Hagen McGuire, Macungie, PA
(Former Manager International Accounts & Sales Engineering, Mack Trucks Inc.)

Assisted by fellow Mack engineer 'Win' Pelizzoni, Walter May invented Mack Trucks' revolutionary Maxidyne/Maxitorque high-torque-rise powertrain concept that literally turned the whole truck industry on end.

Unlike conventional diesel truck engines, the game-changing Maxidyne had the ability to increase the fuel charge and air supply when the engine speed was decreasing. And likewise, as the engine speed increased up the rpm range, the air supplied and fuel injected decreased. This combination of abilities resulted in the global truck industry's first constant-horsepower engine.

Walter May designed the legendary and indestructible Mack triple countershaft Maxitorque transmission to complete the powertrain, itself revolutionary for its simple 5-speed design, high torque rating, compact size, and lightweight heat-dissipating aluminum case.

Walter May's list of Mack patents would fill a book. Head engineer and COO of Mack Trucks, he was a genius in heavy truck design.....literally.

Related reading - http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/30184-all-eyes-are-on-the-new-maxidyne/#comment-167898

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have several regrets when it comes to the truck hobby. Attending the Brooks Oregon truck show for 24 yrs. I became acquainted with Ken Self of Freightliner fame. He was a personal friend of Zenon and asked that I accompany him back to PA and visit Zenon's widow. I was not able to make it happen. Then a few yrs back Don Schumacker offered to introduce me to both Walter May and Win Pellizzoni.............and I let that one slip by. I was too late.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
June 27, 2018

I am honored to be the Walter M. May and A. Hazel May Professor of Mechanical Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology. This endowed chair was made possible by the generous gift of the May family. Walter was a brilliant inventor of mechanisms who worked with industry to make machines to help make life better, and I will do my best to carry forth his legacy of invention and mentoring and looking forward to help the next generation to help themselves and others who will follow them.

• Like 1