PIT Group, U.S. Express Launch Fuel-Efficiency Test on Multiple OEMs’ Class 8 Trucks

kscarbel2

Transport Topics  /  November 7, 2016

Engineering and research company PIT Group and truckload carrier U.S. Express announced they had begun the first in-service fuel-efficiency test in the United States with a variety of Class 8 trucks and various powertrain combinations to compare actual performance levels.

The weeklong test at a U.S. Express facility here involves three Model 579 tractors from Peterbilt Motors Co.; two from International Truck, a new 2017 LT model and 2017 ProStar ES; a 2017 Cascadia from Freightliner; and a 2017 T680 from Kenworth Truck Co.

U.S. Express called the trucks the most fuel-efficient vehicles offered by the respective truck manufacturers.

Peterbilt and Kenworth are brands of Paccar Inc. Freightliner is a brand of Daimler Trucks North America. International is the brand of Navistar Inc.

“We are in the largest [equipment-related] transition period since deregulation and the hard part is this is a low-margin business, so you have to be skeptical,” said Gerry Mead, senior vice president of maintenance at U.S. Express.
“The key to the road test is getting a third-party result” that analyzes the test findings using the various combinations and understands how they were achieved “so we know what is the best,” Mead said.

“This is a competition,” he said, “and that’s how we are looking at it. So we are going to see who wins.”

One truck will ultimately stand out, PIT Group said.

“It will be the best truck in terms of what U.S. Express needs,” not the best truck for every fleet, said Yves Provencher, director of PIT Group.

PIT Group selected a 60-mile test course on highways and local roads. To mimic typical fleet operations, the tractors will pull new Hyundai TransLead 53-foot trailers loaded identically, PIT Group said. Also, an in-cab observer from the company will ride with and monitor the carrier’s drivers operating the test trucks.
Each truck carries an identical 50 gallons of fuel in a special fuel tank whose weight has been certified. PIT Group said the overall test qualifies as an ISO-17025-certified process.

The fuel consumption test is based on RP 1103A, a recommended practice from the Technology & Maintenance Council of American Trucking Associations, the company said.

U.S. Express Enterprises ranks No. 19 on the Transport Topics' Top 100 list of the largest U.S. and Canadian for-hire carriers.

PIT Group testing fuel economy of 2016 and 2017 vehicles for U.S. Xpress

Truck News  /  November 8, 2016

PIT Group announced recently that it’s in-service fuel testing is underway with U.S. Xpress.

Utilizing U.S. Xpress trucks configured in a variety of tractor and powertrain combinations, the testing includes 2016 and brand new 2017 vehicles as well as an exclusive 2017 model that is set to start production this November.  The evaluations are taking place at the carrier’s facility in Tunnel Hill, Georgia.

The In-Service Fuel Testing includes:

1)      Freightliner (MY2017) Cascadia

• Engine: Detroit DD15 455HP 65MPH Set Speed
  • Transmission: Detroit DT12 DA 1550 12 Speed Direct Drive Automated Manual Transmission
  • Rear Axle: Detroit DA RT 40 Ratio: 2.41

2)      Peterbilt (MY2016) 579 “6X2”

• Engine: PACCAR MX13 455HP 65MPH Set Speed Transmission
  • Transmission: Eaton Advantage 10 Speed Direct Drive Automated Manual Transmission
  • Rear Axle: Dana Econo TREK w/ Bendix eTrac System Ratio: 2.69

3)      Peterbilt (MY2016) 579

• Engine: PACCAR MX13 455HP 65MPH Set Speed
  • Transmission: Allison TC-10 Automatic Transmission
  • Rear Axle: Dana DSP40 Ratio: 2.69

4)      Peterbilt (MY2016) 579

• Transmission: Eaton Advantage 10 Speed Direct Drive Automated Manual Transmission

5)      Kenworth T680 (MY2017)

• Engine: PACCAR MX13 405HP 65MPH Set Speed Transmission
  • Rear Axle: Dana D40-155H ADVANTEK40 Ratio: 2.64

6)      Navistar Prostar ES (MY2017)

• Engine: Cummins ISX15 450HP 65MPH Set Speed

7)      Navistar LT (MY2017)

• Engine: Cummins X15 400HP 65MPH Set Speed

“Like most carriers we take fuel economy seriously and we believe this test will help validate the decisions we make about our equipment,” said Gerry Mead, senior vice-president of maintenance at U.S. Xpress.  “Using a proven process and a certified and highly experienced team from PIT Group will provide solid test results on fuel economy. We look forward to the results.”

For the U.S. Xpress evaluations, PIT Group has identified a 60-mile test course on highways and local roads. To represent typical fleet operations, U.S. Xpress fleet will pull trailers with loads of equal weight. An in-cab observer provided by PIT Group will accompany U.S. Xpress drivers operating the test vehicles. U.S. Xpress will also provide fuel, technicians and maintenance facilities for the event, including a mobile service truck if required.

“We are very pleased that U.S. Xpress counts on our expertise to select the best vehicle specs for its fleet. Having so many vehicle and component manufacturers that decided to take part in our first U.S. In-Service Fuel Testing, shows the value of independent testing for both fleet and suppliers” said Yves Provencher, director of the PIT Group. “The real world data about the fuel consumption of a variety of powertrain combinations that we are collecting will be very valuable to PIT Group Members as they make specification decisions and to suppliers as they design and develop new technologies.”

US Xpress testing real-world fuel economy

Fleet Owner  /  November 9, 2016

Using six linehaul tractors taken out of regular service plus two pre-production new models provided by manufacturers, truckload carrier US Xpress is just concluding three days of fuel-economy testing on public roads.  The PIT Group, a Canadian-based organization created to conduct unbiased efficiency testing, the project is intended to help US Xpress and other fleets associated with PIT identify the most fuel-efficient powertrain combinations available, according to Yves Provencher, PIT group manager.

“Like most carriers we take fuel economy seriously, and we believe this test will help validate the decisions we make about our equipment,” said Gerry Mead, sr. VP of maintenance at US Xpress.

With US Xpress drivers behind the wheel and support from the fleet’s maintenance staff, the trucks in the fuel-economy run ran a 52-mi. loop that started with a half-mile local access road from US Xpress’ Tunnel Hill, GA, terminal to I-75. They ran south for 25 miles using cruise control as much as possible and then turned around for the trip back to the terminal.  PIT followed TMC Type III fuel consumption test procedures, Provencher said, adding that traffic was light, terrain was rolling hills, and weather was dry and temperate all three days.

The six US Xpress tractors represented a mix of 2016 and 2017 models, engines, transmissions and rear axle ratios currently found in the company’s linehaul fleet, according to Dwayne Haug, consultant working with PIT and a former fleet maintenance manager.  All six had automated or automatic transmissions and were speced with axle ratios and engines set up for low RPM highway operations. The six were as delivered from the manufacturers with no aftermarket items installed, Haug pointed out.

“This is real-world testing, not track testing,” Haug said. That makes the data collected especially valuable to US Xpress and other fleet members of the PIT organization when investigating future equipment purchases that will maximize fuel economy, he added.

Using fleet drivers was also an important aspect of the test, according to Provencher. “We wanted to get real driver input on these new technologies. That will be important for driver buy-in when [fleets] move to implement them later on.”

Basic specs for the six US Xpress tractors were:

Freightliner (MY2017) Cascadia

• Engine: Detroit DD15 455HP 65MPH Set Speed
  • Transmission: Detroit DT12 DA 1550 12 Speed Direct Drive Automated Manual Transmission
  • Rear Axle: Detroit DA RT 40 Ratio: 2.41  

Peterbilt (MY2016) 579 “6X2”           

• Engine: PACCAR MX13 455HP 65MPH Set Speed Transmission
  • Rear Axle: Dana Econo TREK w/ Bendix eTrac System Ratio: 2.69

Peterbilt (MY2016) 579

• Transmission: Allison TC-10 Automatic Transmission

Peterbilt (MY2016) 579

Kenworth T680 (MY2017)

• Engine: PACCAR MX13 405HP 65MPH Set Speed Transmission

Navistar Prostar ES (MY2017)

• Engine: Cummins ISX15 450HP 65MPH Set Speed

The test also included two pre-production new models provided by their manufacturers – an International LT and a new-generation Freightliner Cascadia. The LT had a Cummins/Eaton/Dana powertrain, and the new Cascadia an integrated Detroit powertrain. 

Preliminary results from the three days of testing will be shared with the 50 fleet members of PIT in about three weeks, with a full report to members following in about six weeks, according to Provencher.  Any new members joining the organization will also be given access to the reports, he said.

image 1.jpg