Daimler Trucks & Buses head reassigned

kscarbel2

Reuters  /  November 22, 2016

Daimler has apologized and reassigned a senior executive from his job after he made disparaging comments in a row over a parking space in China.

Rainer Gaertner, Daimler's trucks and buses president in the country, also used pepper spray on bystanders who intervened.

The incident took place in a Beijing car park on Sunday.

Daimler said it was "a purely private issue, which has now been resolved in an amicable manner".

The argument, involving strong language, began when Gaertner drove his car into a parking space in the Beijing suburb of Shunyi ahead of a local driver.

A quarrel ensued during which the Daimler executive said: "I have been in China one year already; the first thing I learned here is: All you Chinese are bastards."

Gaertner’s dispute was with a Chinese driver at a residential community in Beijing's northeastern Shunyi District. Passersby were drawn to the quarrel and tried to defend the Chinese driver.

In a statement, Daimler said: "Such an incident reflects in no way the values of Daimler and we sincerely apologize for the concerns raised by this matter.

"The nature of the dispute and in particular the manner in which it was conducted, irrespective of any comments alleged to have been made, is adjudged to be not only of concern to the public but viewed by us as detrimental to the standing of our company, unbecoming of a manager of our brand and prejudicial to our good name," Daimler said.

Daimler added that Chinese authorities have closed their investigation into the incident.

Despite the fallout, Daimler said Gaertner remains an employee of Daimler and will be moved to a new role.

image 1.jpg

I'm sure a man of his tact and diplomacy will have a bright future in such an "Americanized" country as Somalia! Perhaps he could represent a company selling bulletproof cab covers with anti Islam logos and chrome rhino guards for the two Scania trucks that will be sold there in the next ten years!😁 Or musk oxen diapers to meet the new emissions standards.Or even better! Manager at the new JBHunt  terminal there,utilizing 100percent Sikh drivers! As lenny Bruce used to say "is there anyone here I haven't offended"

55 minutes ago, BillyT said:

I'm sure a man of his tact and diplomacy will have a bright future in such an "Americanized" country as Somalia! Perhaps he could represent a company selling bulletproof cab covers with anti Islam logos and chrome rhino guards for the two Scania trucks that will be sold there in the next ten years!😁 Or musk oxen diapers to meet the new emissions standards.Or even better! Manager at the new JBHunt  terminal there,utilizing 100percent Sikh drivers! As lenny Bruce used to say "is there anyone here I haven't offended"

Excellent, Excellent!  There is a future for this guy in the land of "Blackhawk Down".  You have to admire the Germans-they always are quick to act.  It would not surprise me if some of the VW emissions engineers get assigned to join his staff!

Oh, did not realize JBH had set up shop there-that must be where all the F'liner FLD 120's go once they hit the 750,000 mile mark.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

From what I heard, an inconsiderate and uncultured local was either blocking the entrance to his driveway or was in it. Tact doesn't really work, in the sense that another local will be doing the same thing there tomorrow or the next.

I would have to believe though that these guys who get such foreign assignments get a certain amount of schooling when it comes to PR with the locals.  Its one thing to have a beef with someone.  Its another matter however when you take shots at the entire country.  A guy with his stripes should know better you would think.

9 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

I would have to believe though that these guys who get such foreign assignments get a certain amount of schooling when it comes to PR with the locals.  Its one thing to have a beef with someone.  Its another matter however when you take shots at the entire country.  A guy with his stripes should know better you would think.

But they actually don't. Not everyone is adaptable to overseas assignments. A U.S. assignment for Europeans is a dream come true in their eyes.......they hate leaving at the end of their tenure. But other countries, in this case China, require a very special kind of individual that most global companies have few of.