Isuzu's Diesel Engine Durability Upped to 375,000 Miles

kscarbel2

Heavy Duty Trucking  /  March 13, 2017

The B10 durability rating of the 4HK1-TC diesel engine that powers Isuzu Commercial Truck of America, Inc. cabovers has been increased to 375,000 miles, the company has announced at the NTEA's Work Truck Show in Indianapolis.

The rating means that 90% of Isuzu 4HK1-TC engines are expected to last 375,000 miles before they require a major repair or rebuild. Previously, the 4HK1-TC engine carried a B10 rating of 310,000 miles.

A B10-life rating is an industry-standard gauge provided by engine makers to help consumers determine the long-term durability of an engine. The number following the “B” indicates the percentage of an engine’s population that will require an overhaul before the indicated mileage.

"We are proud to say that Isuzu diesel engines are already known worldwide for their long-term dependability," said Shaun Skinner, the company's president. "Our new B-10 rating is strong evidence that our engines are even more durable than ever."

The turbocharged, intercooled 4HK1-TC four-cylinder diesel engine displaces 5.2L and generates 215 horsepower. Torque ratings vary depending on model.

The engine is fitted to Isuzu NPR-HD, NPR-XD, NQR, and NRR models, as well as the new 2018 Isuzu FTR Class 6 truck. Each of these models is backed by a three-year/unlimited mileage powertrain limited warranty.

image 1.jpg

Ford claims its AVL-designed 6.7-liter Power Stroke has a "a statistically proven B10 engine design life of at least a half-million miles" based on dynamometer testing.

But in the real world and particularly when installed in a medium-duty truck (F-650/750), I'm skeptical.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/03/01/ford-f-650--f-750-power-stroke-v8-diesel-designed-to-go-farther.html

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Ford claims its AVL-designed 6.7-liter Power Stroke has a "a statistically proven B10 engine design life of at least a half-million miles" based on dynamometer testing.

But in the real world and particularly when installed in a medium-duty truck (F-650/750), I'm skeptical.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/03/01/ford-f-650--f-750-power-stroke-v8-diesel-designed-to-go-farther.html

I would have to say a lot of people are skeptical too based on 750 sales numbers.  650 is doing very well but my bet is the percentage of V-10 gas jobs is very high.  I actually forgot about that B-10 rating..  Very high IMO for any medium duty engine-to say nothing of a V-8 at those HP ratings.

2 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

If I am not mistaken, isn't the 4HK1-TC a 4 cylinder version of the 7.8L 6HK1-TC?  I believe the 6H had a B10 rating of 400,000 miles.  I hope we see the 6H here in the U.S. again, it's a great engine. 

http://www.isuzu.com.au/news-media/press-releases/all-bases-covered-with-isuzu-s-new-medium-duty-range/

2 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

I wonder if that 6HK1 DOC engine could be EPA/CARB certified.  No particulate filter or SCR could be quite an advantage.

Not the current Australia spec engine. That's Euro-5 (near EPA2007).

The dealers are under the impression they're getting a 6x4 that can be a vocational tipper. However I suspect this is going to be Isuzu's lightest 6x4 platform, more for on-road distribution.