Pictures of the Week

other dog

1 hour ago, BillyT said:

That looks like a drag racing tractor!What engine is it running?

It's a pulling tractor, I don't know what engine, I didn't really look at it that close.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I worked on two of the trucks seen in these pics- the creme and burgundy conventional Pete with "3408" on the hood (and under the hood....) and the two-tone blue F-Model Mack. Both were owned and restored by the owner of Jevic Transportation before he sold it (and then 6 or 8 years later the new owners flushed it down the toilet.) The F-Model is Jevic's original paint scheme and when the boss owned it, JEVIC was on the door. I will post a pic of another Jevic cabover. 

When I worked at Jevic fleet maintenance (the Willingboro, NJ shop) the boss would pay us under the table to work on his antiques. I would stay after my shift 3 or 4 days a week for an hour and a half or two hours and he would pay us our time and a half rate. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I saw that camper in Montana a few years ago. What's it running ?

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

The old Chevy camper is cool! Anybody read "Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck? Ford motor company built him a camper based on a 1964 Ford 3/4 ton chassis had all the usual stuff campers have today! He and Charlie (a French poodle) travelled all over America and his interactions with different people he met are what the book is about ! Another book about American workers is "Working" by Studs Terkel. The author interviews different people and asks them about their jobs my favorite of course was "Frank Decker Steel hauler" The book was written in the 70s and Mr Decker tells how much better the 70s trucks were compared to  The ones he drove in the 40s and 50s! If he's still around I'll bet he's amazed by the modern road tractors!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ws721 said:

A Blast from the Past. Use to be hundreds of those and JB IH's roaming around

I remember when Jevic was officially incorporated, it was 12 owner operators. None of the trucks were the same make, model or color. My dad had his single drive Hayward F-Model with a 300 and a 5 speed. Later on he traded that one in for an Allentown F-Model with screws and a 300 Plus and a 10-speed. When I was turning wrenches at the Willingboro Shop, there were 1400+/- tractors, 2800 +/- trailers and 6 terminals. 

And those 12 O/O's were called "The Dirty Dozen" 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I remember when Jevic was officially incorporated, it was 12 owner operators. None of the trucks were the same make, model or color. My dad had his single drive Hayward F-Model with a 300 and a 5 speed. Later on he traded that one in for an Allentown F-Model with screws and a 300 Plus and a 10-speed. When I was turning wrenches at the Willingboro Shop, there were 1400+/- tractors, 2800 +/- trailers and 6 terminals. 

And those 12 O/O's were called "The Dirty Dozen" 

does       vinny clark       ring a bell

18 hours ago, mowerman said:

I heard jevic was a union outfit and was a part of saia motor freight at one time saia spun them off because of it....don't know......bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

NEGATIVE.

After the Founder and CEO of Jevic parted ways (a requirement of the deal when Jevic stock went public on the market for trading) the company stayed alive for a while and then was purchased by the same investment group that owned YRC, Saia and a few others. Anyone and everyone who was high up on the food chain at Jevic (who knew how to do what Jevic was so successful at for years) were either fired or left on their own accord. So the Investment Group had guys from YRC, Saia and the others come in and try to run things- the only way that they knew how to do things which was completely opposite the Jevic way. So Jevic's long time loyal customers began to jump ship in favor of New Century Transportation (founded by the same gentleman who founded Jevic....) Eventually all of Jevics customers dropped them and Jevic started bleeding money. It was at this time that the investment group shut the doors. Drivers were all told one day "Don't come in tomorrow." Road drivers were of course not informed unless done so by other drivers back at the terminals- a boatload of drivers abandoned their trucks at the closest truckstop.......Road drivers that did come into terminals were told "Thanks" and not so much as offered a ride to an airport, bus or train station. Mechanics (many of my friends) had to file court orders to get into the buildings to get their tools. (I can neither confirm or deny knowledge of a riot and break-in at the Willingboro Shop by 30 or so mechanics who demanded access to their personal tools...........)

Anyways....I digress........Jevic was NEVER Union. Ever. We were all way too happy, getting good wages, excellent benefits and time off- why would we WANT to be union?  

• Like 1

Gotcha appreciate that heads up and that's Very interesting... That was the word we heard around here I guess the only true part of it was that they made a lot of money I used to work for a Saia and that's what we heard then that was 12 years ago I started with westex it was a Regional West Coast outfit started by yellow then bought Saia and action Express and then merged all 3 companies and call them all Saia motor freight wants that happen the place went in the toilet I wound up leaving and going to FedEx I have never seen an outfit care less about moving Freight they come in to work in the morning where the attitude how are we going to save money today incredible I don't know how they make any money at all over there.. bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...