The road to romance

kscarbel2

Scania Group Press Release  /  August 11, 2017

Robert and Ann-Kristin from Norway are passionate about each other – and passionate about Scania; so much so that they decided to get married at Scania Visitor Centre in Södertälje, Sweden.

Some might say Rome or Paris is the most romantic place for a wedding. But neither of those cities was ever an option for Robert Steen and Ann-Kristin Tveterhagen when it came to planning their wedding venue. It was Scania that brought them together, so getting married in the museum at Scania’s visitor centre, located at Scania’s headquarters in Södertälje, was the logical choice.

”It was fantastic,” Robert said afterwards. “It was a combination of the things that matter the most to Ann-Kristin and me: the two of us, and Scania.”

“Getting married at Scania started as a crazy idea,” he continued. “I asked Ann-Kristin if we should ask if we could get married at Scania. So we contacted Scania’s headquarters in Norway, who, in turn, contacted Scania in Sweden.”

Robert more or less grew up with Scania, you could almost say in a Scania. In 1972 his father bought a Scania 110 truck and started a small transport company hauling timber in the region of Trøndelag in middle of Norway.

“Instead of attending daycare like most other children, I spent my childhood days in the passenger seat next to my father,” he says.

A special wedding cake

Down the years, Robert’s interest in trucks, and especially in Scania, has continued. After his engineering studies he spent 14 years in the vehicle bodybuilding business. But he had always dreamed of a job at Scania, and fulfilled his goal in 2012. Today he is service manager within Scania Norway, heading the operations at Scania’s workshop in Trondheim.

At a Christmas party in Scania’s Norwegian headquarters in 2014 another dream of his came true, when he met a life companion as passionate about Scania as he is: Ann-Kristin, who at that time was working as a temp at Scania in Oslo. And as it happened, she also had the same background, with a father who drove Scania.

A slight problem for their relationship was that Ann-Kristin lived with her two children in Oslo, 500 kilometres from Trondheim, where Robert lives.

“But we found ways to meet more and more regularly. As often as possible when we had a delivery to a customer in Trondheim, I went down to Oslo during the weekend to pick up the truck and drive it up to Trondheim myself,” he says smiling.

Fast forward to Saturday 15 July 2017, when they finally said “I do” to each other. The staff at Scania’s visitors centre in Södertälje had spared no effort to make it a memorable day for the couple. Thanks to them, Robert and Ann-Kristin were able to make a grand entrance to the museum in a shining green 1927 vintage Scania Vabis Noblesse postal service bus.

After the couple exchanged marriage vows in front of their guests, the festivities began, with dinner among the classic models in the Scania museum, which had been especially adorned for the occasion.

“They had even prepared a special wedding cake for us, with miniatures of the first and the latest Scania model,” says a delighted Robert. “It’s just amazing what Scania did for us. We had a truly fantastic day, Ann-Kristin and I.”

We used to have a lot of weddings at Mack and involving new Mack trucks. The older Bulldog magazines often mentioned them.

Note the license-built Mack C-50 city bus in the museum. That was the birth of decades of cooperation between Mack and Scania.

We used to have a lot of weddings at Mack and involving new Mack trucks. The older Bulldog magazines often mentioned them.

Note the license-built Mack C-50 city bus in the museum. That was the birth of decades of cooperation between Mack and Scania.

I didn't get married in a Mack, but I had lots and lots of sexual relations in them!