project up and running again.

Ezrider

What rear is in the car? Jag or?

Racing on the Northeastern S/S and Funny circuit wasn't all it was cracked up to be by the "nostalgia" sites. Work all week day time , work all week nights to fix the cars, travel most times all Friday night after work and sleep in our tow car, race Sat and Sunday, drive sun night and start all over again on Monday. But I got the Dodge dealer in Huntington and Muscle Cars Speed shops to sponsor the Challengers for half the purchase price plus parts and slicks, Duster was all from my pocket. Funny was basically built from season old parts and junk yard bought 392 hemi's. Probably broke even on winnings and costs. Wouldn't do the funnycar act again. But 47 years ago you had a few bucks, a few friends and a half a brain you could be competitive with a 20 something thousand home built funnycar. Although I did win 10 grand street racing it on  North Conduit Ave in NYC one night.  I do think the memories make is seem worse than it was now than when it was going on.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Were you able to make the factory gauges work with the new drive train or did you end up puttin aftermarket gauges in instead?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

all the factory gauges function, oil pressure and rpms are not currently accurate. oil psi is a easy fix, i broke the jag sensor removing it so i used a chevy sensor and the resistance values are different still indicates weather or not you have oil psi but its not accurate, tach is calibrated for a 6cyl rather than a v8 still need to figure that out. for now i just have to roughly calculate the real rpms from the reading. good enough for reference but its not right. 

here is a video of it driving on one of my first test drives it was running pig rich at the time and timing was set super conservative should really shoot basically the same video now for comparison. 

• Like 1

That is awesome! That car scoots along pretty dang good. Pretty awesome you were able to get the factory gauges sorta retro fitted to the sbc. I was just watching a video on the motor trend channel and they took a 454 out of a 1986 rv, dyno'd it then put trick flow heads and cam in it and got a 70% increase in hp on 87 octane gas. Was a very interesting video to watch. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

drove the car some more this week, now have about 550 miles on the biuld. is kinda starting to develop a new problem. every once in a while when you punch it will pull good threw first gear hit second then just kinda break up and lay over. still pulling strong but probably 80% power i think its ignition related. at first cause i was a little low on fuel i though mabye it was sloshing fuel away from the pickup. but i was watching the a/f gauge when it did it one time and was at 11.9 a/f ratio. i went ahead and dropped jets a little smaller in secondary the tune up would cruse at about 13.9-14 punch it and it would drop to 12.5 and then come threw the top of the gear about 11.9. with the jet change in the secondary its now all the same but it runs threw the top of the gear about 12.2 now. made no difference on the occasionally laying over problem though. plugs read good very slightly sooty not fouled. no oil or buildup. threads are clean and engine has not burned a drop of oil. 

spark quality has been suspect with this distributor from the get go one of my first drives it was breaking up pretty bad and among other things i closed up the spark plug gaps and that helped, cant really close them up more than they are at now though...lol i think the quality although probably good enough for a stock application on these super cheap ebay hei's is just not there. i think a ignition system upgrade is probably going to need to be sooner rather than later. 

i did check fuel millage for the first time though lol 13.9 really not to unhappy with that considering i have not been babying this car, i bet its still capable of its original fuel millage of 16 city 23 highway. cause iv been beating on it pretty hard. 

heavy gunner i watched that one now too. good episode. big blocks defiantly are good for power, id hate the idea of buying a rv as a donor though just imagine the hassle of getting rid of whats left....lol my engine should be fine with 87 octane i would kinda hate to try it though and find out i am wrong.