Cummins Eyes Eventual Expansion in Medium-Duty Market

kscarbel2

Transport Topics  /  September 26, 2017

ATLANTA — Cummins Inc. is looking at how to expand its medium-duty powertrain market into Classes 4 and 5, eventually, a company executive said.

“We continue to look at it, what the right powertrain is. I think you’ll see over the next few years how we enter that [Classes 4 and 5] market. We do have interest. We just need to figure out how to attack it,” said Brett Merritt, general manager, on-highway engine business, at Cummins.

Transport Topics interviewed Merritt during the inaugural North American Commercial Vehicle Show here Sept. 25.

The question is how do you “get the cost-effective solution that still meets the need of that market, and then have a partner that can cost-effectively compete on the truck side,” Merritt said.

In the meantime, Cummins has moved from a single percentage point market share in medium-duty in the early 2000s to now a leading 76%, “depending on what part of the market you calculate,” he said.

Cummins calculates it as Classes 6 and 7, as well as Class 8, Group 1 — “that’s a 9-liter engine,” he said.

“The medium-duty is a great market, and it kind of surprised a few of us. It has been a steady market, but at some point you thought it may not continue to grow, but it continues to be a strong market,” Merritt said.

image 1.jpg

Isn't that interesting?  They are already in class 4 and 5 with Ram, currently the sales leader in that market.  Does mean mean Cummins is looking or has found another class 4/5 customer for their engines?  And does that refer to the B6.7L or the new 5L V-8?  This article asks more questions than it answers! 

The 5.0-liter Cummins V8 available in the Nissan Titan isn't exactly new though.

Back in 2009, Cummins announced a 5.6L V-8 (and 4.2L V-6) targeted at pickup truck applications. But there were no takers. Cummins was hoping for the Ford account, knowing the automaker's dissatisfaction with Navistar.

Today's 5.0 liter engine is based entirely on that 5.6-liter.

Another note that people have forgotten about, as it never came to be thus far, is Toyota's interest in the Cummins 5.0 liter V8 for the Tundra.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/32574-toyota-eyes-cummins-diesel-engine-for-tundra/?tab=comments#comment-203127

The 5.0L V8 is not delivering the fuel economy that customers were expecting.

What is the fuel mileage in those v8 Cummins in the Nissan? Every article I read on them before they came out never mentioned mpg so I was assuming it must not have been worth mentioning. I have noticed that Cummins has been making a big push promoting that R2.8 liter 4 cylinder. They have been heavily advertising and giving engines for projects to Petersons 4wheel and off road and dirt everyday crews to put into projects. Sounds like they were getting nearly 2x the mileage the other jeeps with gas 6 and 8 cylinder engines. 

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

7 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Ford uses  Cummins 4 cylinders in their  So American class 4, 5 F series.  Hopefully they will smarten up and recognize not everyone needs an 800lb.ft. V-8!

Or not everyone wants/likes V-8's period-in class 6 and 7!

What is ford using a Cummins in? Far as I know ford doesn't offer a half ton or smaller pickup with a diesel but I've been wrong before. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

3 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

What is ford using a Cummins in? Far as I know ford doesn't offer a half ton or smaller pickup with a diesel but I've been wrong before. 

Note..South America. Go to the Ford Brazil website.  In the F series -looks like prior generation US  f-450-550 as well as the Cargo..  And of course with manual transmissions.

7 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/35823-ford-re-launches-f-4000-at-brazil’s-agrishow/

http://www.fordcaminhoes.com.br/serie-f/f-4000

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/36835-ford’s-f-4000-to-return-in-september/