Focus On... 2018 Volvo VNL Walk-Around

kscarbel2

Mark, I generally don't care for conventionals to begin with (though Oz-spec Powerstars and Western Stars are nice). My preference was always the F Model and highly advanced MH Ultra-Liner. Versus the Volvo or Anthem, I'd rather be in a Cruise-Liner. Nowadays, though I'm biased towards the virtually perfect Scania range, many COE's meet my expectations.

Agreed- One of the main reasons for my lack of enthusiasm for actually driving trucks OTR today is that the trucks have become such pigs- conventionals plus big sleepers equals a 200 inch plus wheelbase and they handle like pigs. Give me a set back axle conventional with a day cab or better yet a cabover and I'm happy. Being as new cabover tractors aren't available in the U.S. anymore, A setback front axle conventional with a short sleeper makes an ideal combination, especially since you need a 170 inch or more wheelbase to "bridge" and that leaves a long gap between a day cab and the trailer... Makes sense to put a sleeper in there and make use of that space. International, Freightliner with the M2, KW, and now Western Star get it and are offering these options. Mack, not so much...

• 4 weeks later...