Enhancing vision and safety with digital rear-view mirrors

kscarbel2

Scania Group Press Release  /  December 1, 2017

Digital rear-view mirrors on trucks can replace conventional mirrors, reduce blind spots and improve visibility, according to a recently completed research project. This is a first — a digital camera mirror system that could completely replace conventional rear view mirrors on trucks.

Rear-view mirrors have not evolved a great deal since they became necessary in the 1960s as a result of the increasing number of highways worldwide. Now things could be set to change as a new solution has been developed for truck manufacturers thanks to RISE, Scania and Stoneridge Electronics AB.

Along with Scania vehicle ergonomist Hanna Staf and technicians from Stoneridge Electronics, Azra Habibovic, project leader at the Swedish research institute RISE Viktoria, has created a digital rear-view mirror system prototype that represents a clear step forward. The prototype includes cameras mounted near the upper front corners of the exterior of the cab. Displays on the inside of the cab show the rear view in real time.

The driver’s direct vision is improved

By replacing conventional rear-view mirrors with digital ones, the driver’s direct vision is improved. “Traditional rear-view mirrors typically block drivers field of vision, by replacing them with digital systems it enables drivers to detect pedestrians and cyclists much easier – a typical problem at urban intersections and roundabouts,” says Habibovic.

The prototype provides a larger field of view and reduces blind spots, making the driver more aware of potential hazards around their trucks. Furthermore, Habibovic explains: “The automatic panning of the main view is especially useful for following the trailer end when turning or reversing. It eliminates the need for body and head movements to increase the field of view, which is usually the case when using conventional mirrors.”

Better visibility when door windows are dirty

Another advantage is that the prototype provides better visibility when door windows are dirty. During adverse weather conditions, it can be a challenge for truck drivers to spot objects in conventional mirrors.

In addition to safety, the digital rear-view system offers reduced air-drag, and enhanced night-time viewing is also possible through an inbuilt infra-red system.

“Replacing conventional mirrors with digital systems creates a unique opportunity to improve drivers’ visibility and night vision,” says Staf. This improves safety while creating a more comfortable driver environment.

While I object to "automatic emergency braking and lane drift technology" on cars and trucks which I consider incompetence mitigation that will eventually create dependence on vehicle systems and remove what little " defensive driving" that remains among motorists and tragically a small percentage of commercial drivers, I highly support any technology that gives the trucker greater visibility around his rig (especially the glaring blind spot behind the trailer!) How about a combination of the existing mirrors that all trucks have presently, and the cameras? Should hate to think of a camera only truck if the cameras failed! 

• Like 1

Should hate to think of a camera only truck if the cameras failed! 

I thought about the same thing, but mirrors also break. If it is done right it will be impossible to wipe a camera off the side of the truck like you can do with a conventional mirror.

I think this is a real win-win.  Both visibility and aerodynamics are improved. My bet is that in the long run cameras will even be cheaper than mirrors.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Mirrors also create another blind spot Having said this I totally agree with you to much dependence on TECK They are creating a bunch of DUMMER ASS drivers with this stuff Total lack of knowledge and the physics of vehicle operation.  

Few weeks ago I was backing into a parking spot.  Small car behind me and I could not see it around the bed of my pickup.  I was cautiously backing up when my buddy asked "want me to go out and look?".  I told him "sure".  If not I was going to get out and look.  Would a back up camera be handy?  Ya,  I would agree.  Unfortunately today everyone just assumes they need a camera to see anything.  MIrrors?  What's that?  Park assist?  Come on.  Now they have trailer towing assist.   The dumbing down of drivers.  I take it like calculators were back in high school.  AFTER you learned to do the math yourself, you could use a calculator.  NOT BEFORE!!!  Now everyone HAS TO HAVE all these upgrades to do the simplest task of driving.

I get a kick out of "blind spot avoidance" lights blinking in your mirror.  I know go out of my way to move my vehicle around in the lane behind the car in front just to make that little yellow light flash.  I call it a spot mirror.  I use it to see what is in my blind spot.  If not.........TURN YOUR HEAD and look!!!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Changes tend to make current knowledge less important. I can't drive a horse and buggy but my Dad did every day of his youth. Most new drivers cannot drive a stick shift because automatics have supplanted them. So what? They may never be in a vehicle that is standard shift in their life. Change is inevitable and we have to accept it whether we like it or not.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

FxFymn, I agree change is gonna happen! But I don't have to like it! I do think every vehicle especially big trucks should have a rear camera! They aren't all that expensive considering the "cost" of a pedestrians life, or on a car the cost of a toddlers life! Anybody ever go on the website quorum? Hope I spelled that right!  A lot of people asking about trucking and automotive topics most of the questions are fairly intelligent, but some are so outrageous you gotta wonder who is around you on the road! How do you make a truck fly ?someone asked! I answered drive it thru the guardrail on Salt River Canyon Az! Lol

How do you make a truck fly 

The DCFD did it with E-32's Hahn when they failed to stop at a dead end and ended up launching into a street at the bottom of an embankment.