frame drilling

JD160

I'm replacing the inner frame rail in my 86 superliner w 44 rears.  Im having a hard time finding info on drill and ream sizes.  Mack is sending me 20 mm trunion bolts and chart says to make hole 22 mm

I have mag drill and need to order drill and ream

any help and recommendations would be great

P G Adams is bending the frame but lead time and cost is the reason I'm doing holes

I had a local machine shop grind annular cutters the right dimension for these although I started purchasing fasteners and hardware at Mcmaster-Carr which worked very well. Use grade eight, or nine and get them tight. I always used nylocks and hardened washers with the bolts being flange head. Lot of trucks running around this area without problems using this method.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That chart looks to make everything .002-.005 press fit for the shank of bolt.  I suppose if the shank is about the same size UNDER then it would slide in.  If not, it would take a really big hammer to seat them?

When I did my air ride stretch, I used Gr 8 5/8" flange bolts, self locking flange nuts and reamed the holes to 5/8".  Put them down with my 3/4" impact.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

PG Adams did the rails and I laid out the holes using Mcmaster fasteners on my 57 B-61. Used my Hougen 505 magdrill to punch them through. Very accurate as all holes vary less than 1mm distant from side to side.

Edited by Rob
Photo Space
  • Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

When I ordered my rails, (80ksi steel) they sent a dimension diagram to fill out. The final product is well within 1/16" of those dimensions meaning the new rails were as close as you were going to get to perfect. The factory frame rails varied is size about 1/16", (height) and that dimension was replicated in the replacements as the new rails slipped over the originals after being cut off. The PG Adams rails fit like a good pair or gloves as can be seen here:

I found PG Adams to be more expensive than other vendors but I'm happy with the product and am certain you will be too.

Then I lost my marbles and don't know how to do this kind of crap anymore.....

Rob

Edited by Rob
Photo Space

I got the rails for the B75 from PG Adams plain.  Used body bound bolts only at the trunnion and the air gun pulled them into the undersized holes without a problem.  5/8" flange nuts and bolts used for everything else.  With a stretch and needing room for outboard cylinders, everything was mocked up before drilling holes.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.