Ford Trucks Launches Cargo Power 2431 6X2: Leader in Performance and Economy

kscarbel2

Ford Trucks Press Release  /  April 11, 2018

• Ford Trucks launches the Cargo Power 2431 6x2, equipped with a new powertrain offering the best combination of performance and economy for maximum profitability
  • With a gross weight of 24 metric tonnes, the 2431 is equipped with the new 306 horsepower version of the popular 6.7-liter Cummins ISB, the most powerful engine on the market up to 7 liters - and has the option of manual transmission or automated "Torqshift" AMT.

TATUÍ, SÃO PAULO  - Ford Trucks is launching the new Cargo Power 2431 6x2, featuring a new powertrain offering optimized performance and economy for maximum carrier profitability.

"The new Cargo Power 2431 is a great launch that reinforces our proposal to bring innovative products to the market, with solutions focused on their real needs," says João Pimentel, director of Ford Trucks Operations in South America. The truck was developed based on customer feedback for a more powerful and efficient vehicle without giving up the economy, to be leader in the segment. "

Launch Offer

As a special launch offer, Ford will sell the first 500 units of the new 306-hp trucking for the same price as the 290-hp model.

In addition, the brand provides a subsidized financing program for its entire 6x2 line, with special conditions that facilitate the acquisition. It is offered in the form of direct consumer credit (CDC) with a rate of 0.96% for payment in 48 months, with a 20% and 90 day grace period.

Customer Voice

The Cargo Power 2431 truck is produced in versions with 9-speed manual transmission or 10-speed Torqshift automated transmission. It was developed from an extensive research with transporters on the main routes of Brazil, improving the characteristics that they seek more in the performance of the vehicle.

His project is the result of a two-year work that involved 400,000 miles of development and durability testing in both Brazil and in high altitude regions of South America using Ford Truck's extensive engineering expertise.

The new ISB 6.7 engine, at 306 hp (@ 2,100 rpm) and 1,100 Nm torque, is the most powerful on the market in the 7-liter range and uses advanced technology to deliver high torque already at low speed, available in a wide range of 1,100 at 1900 rpm. With this, it ensures greater agility in the retakes and safety in the overtaking, with consumption equal or less than the competing models.

Another advantage of the new engine is the emission treatment system with Arla [aka. AdBlue, DEF]. In addition to improving engine performance and durability, it has greater tolerance to fuel variability and a lower overall cost compared to competitors with the EGR system.

Complete assistance

The new Cargo Power 2431 has the complete after-sales service of the more than 100 Ford Truck distributors in Brazil, with a concept focused on speed, quality and fair price. The model features a new Ford Service maintenance package that offers three customer contract options, including revisions (Class), revisions and wear items (Plus) or complete assistance (Prime).

Cargo Power also comes pre-factory with the Fordtrac enabled telemetry system, which includes monitoring and safety functions, and will have a monitoring center in the future to monitor the vehicle in real time with support staff.

New line

Cargo Power 2431 is the flagship of Ford's new Cargo and Power Cargo line, consisting of six models equipped with the new 306-hp engine and capacity from 17 to 31 tonnes gross total weight with 4x2, 6x2 , 6x4 and the unpublished 8x2, which will be presented shortly.

It includes models: Cargo Power 1731 rigid, Cargo Power 1731T tractor, Cargo Power 2631 6x4, Cargo Power 3131 6x4 and Cargo Power 3031 8x2 with manual transmission or automated Torqshift. Ford will also continue to offer the 2929 6x2 Cargo 2929 option, which was the third-largest seller in the segment last year with 1,007 units.

"Our goal with the launch of the Cargo Power line is to gain leadership in the 6x2 segment and achieve an average 25% stake in trucks with a hard chassis," said Guilherme Teles, Ford Truck's Marketing Manager.

The brand works this year with a projection of growth of the order of 22% in the segment of trucks with rigid chassis and estimates an advance of 43.5% in the total of the industry, with 74,000 units.

image 4.jpg

image 3.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 1.jpg

• Like 1

10 sp torqshift, is that a Ford designed auto transmission? I wonder if that transmission will make it to NA super duty Fords. Also They offer Cummins and not Ford's own 6.7. Is that because the Cummins have more commonality or certification for the Brazilian market? I am always fascinated with how Ford invests in heavy Fords for other markets but not the NA market. Meanwhile they had an excellent heavy truck in NA and sold out.

9 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

10 sp torqshift, is that a Ford designed auto transmission? I wonder if that transmission will make it to NA super duty Fords. Also They offer Cummins and not Ford's own 6.7. Is that because the Cummins have more commonality or certification for the Brazilian market? I am always fascinated with how Ford invests in heavy Fords for other markets but not the NA market. Meanwhile they had an excellent heavy truck in NA and sold out.

Eaton AMT

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/44524-ford-truck-launches-new-amt-equipped-cargo-range/

21 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

JB-My guess is they are clueless:pat:.  Case in point- received this months edition of Work Truck Magazine and once again, there was a Ford Commercial Truck flyer included.  One thing I noticed was for 750 they list a a max GCWR of 50,000 pds.  In the old days, (KTP era) you could get an F-700, and F-800 with a GCWR of 60,000 pds.  And an F-8000 with a 3208 Cat carried a GCWR of 75,000 lbs.  The F-700 would have had a max front axle of 9000 lbs and a rear of 19,000 pds while the F-800 and F-8000 could be built with a 12,000 front and 23,000 rear.

Looking at todays 750, you can get that same 12 front and 23 rear.  The frames are in essence available in same ratings (SM and RBM), and I'm sure the wheel/tire ratings are the same.  As for cabs, while some say the current 750 cab is a "Pick UP" cab, I would bet it is far more comfortable than the old F series cab.  Now in the old days, many carrier used F models in their P & D operations-and I'm sure many a day those city P & D tractors went out with a 40-45 box that pushed that 60 or 65,000 lb rating.  It was a cost effective alternative to the L/LN series of competitive trucks from GMC, International etc.

So why do the new trucks carry a lower GCWR rating?  My bet is Ford does not have the confidence in the 6.7 Power Stroke/ Torqueshift combo to support 60 or 65,000 pd. ratings in particular when you are pulling a 13-6 box height with all of that wind resistance.

Again a solid case for another engine/trans combo that could provide incremental sales of 750 without a lot of engineering cost.  I guess they just don't see Avon Lake utilization as a serious issue.

• Like 1