1941 Mack EQ tandem TK **Exceptional Condition**

Amos V.

It looks like a rare animal.

Wonder what is the tandems setup? I can see a chain between the rear wheels/ Did Mack ever used them in tandem E-models? I saw a picture with a transfer case and two prop shafts in a Mack book. Also I saw in person the driveline to the rears of the style B's and later Mack had. But this design seems as another story. BTW whhat does EQ 5D mean& Factory diesel?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

4 hours ago, Vladislav said:

It looks like a rare animal.

Wonder what is the tandems setup? I can see a chain between the rear wheels/ Did Mack ever used them in tandem E-models? I saw a picture with a transfer case and two prop shafts in a Mack book. Also I saw in person the driveline to the rears of the style B's and later Mack had. But this design seems as another story. BTW whhat does EQ 5D mean& Factory diesel?

EQ was tandem chain drive and was the direct replacement for the AB series.

1937-1950, 10661 pcs. produced, GVW is 11.3 tons, engine is EN454A

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 hours ago, 41chevy said:

EQ was tandem chain drive and was the direct replacement for the AB series.

1937-1950, 10661 pcs. produced, GVW is 11.3 tons, engine is EN454A

Was the Lanova diesel used in the late E models? I know of a local one with that engine.     terry:MackLogo:

12 hours ago, terry said:

Was the Lanova diesel used in the late E models? I know of a local one with that engine.     terry:MackLogo:

Yes it was.  Mack called it the END 672.  Starting in 1949, the Mack Diesel Caravan program traveled the country promoting the use of diesel engines in trucks.

I wouldn't be surprised that same gassers were converted to diesel as an upgrade by their owners.

EH Diesel.jpg

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

5 hours ago, tjc transport said:

that chain looks stretched to me. 

probably needs a link or two removed, it looks very close to the ground. 

It appears to have the larger "Hi Speed" sprockets on it. Give it a max of either side of 50mph.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 hours ago, j hancock said:

Yes it was.  Mack called it the END 672.  Starting in 1949, the Mack Diesel Caravan program traveled the country promoting the use of diesel engines in trucks.

I wouldn't be surprised that same gassers were converted to diesel as an upgrade by their owners.

I have a EQ factory desel that they had so many problems with,Mack sent them a new gas engine to repower it.,I don't think they ever used the 672 in the EQ wasn't it  510 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superdog said:

I have a EQ factory desel that they had so many problems with,Mack sent them a new gas engine to repower it.,I don't think they ever used the 672 in the EQ wasn't it  510 ?

Could be Mike.  Think that was a 519.

The END 672 started in Mack buses in 1948 and there was a push by Mack to advertise the use in trucks a year later with the EH and trailer.  Pretty much the end of the line for the E.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:13 PM, BOB DINGSDALE said:

the chain drive set up looks like someone put a tag axle on and sprockets between duels to get drive to tag. was done here on west coast a lot espesialy on log trailers to stop back axle from sliding on steep loose roads.

The EQ's were built chain drive  . Look in front of the first rear wheel, there is the OEM chain oiler. The tag is driven off the front axle but it was a MACK installed option.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

Could be Mike.  Think that was a 519.

The END 672 started in Mack buses in 1948 and there was a push by Mack to advertise the use in trucks a year later with the EH and trailer.  Pretty much the end of the line for the E.

From the Mack Master Maintenance Manual 1940 to 1949. Complete service bulletins, special tools, repair procedures and literature by MACK, York Pennsylvania, Harrisburg Branch. Serial number DR 305-4. Mack Trucks and Bus. Includes Series E Trucks with engines-- EN 271, EN 290, EN 330, EN 354A, EN 431A, END 457 Engines;  Series L Truckengines EN 510A, EN 707A, ED, END 519, END 672, Cummins H, Cummins NH Engines; Series A Trucks with EN 291, EN 331, EN 377, EN 431, END 510 Engines.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

17 hours ago, 41chevy said:

The EQ's were built chain drive or worm drive. Look in front of the first rear wheel, there is the OEM chain oiler. The tag is driven off the front axle but it was a MACK installed option.

Very interesting. Have never heard of that and don't remember anyone ever noted on here. Do you have any factory pics of the setup or description?

And I'm sure EQ was just the next heavier series E after EH being driven with common Mack axles, single or double reduction. And the chain driven E had its special model name of ER.

16 hours ago, 41chevy said:

From the Mack Master Maintenance Manual 1940 to 1949. Complete service bulletins, special tools, repair procedures and literature by MACK, York Pennsylvania, Harrisburg Branch. Serial number DR 305-4. Mack Trucks and Bus. Includes Series E Trucks with engines-- EN 271, EN 290, EN 330, EN 354A, EN 431A, END 457 Engines;  Series L Truckengines EN 510A, EN 707A, ED, END 519, END 672, Cummins H, Cummins NH Engines; Series A Trucks with EN 291, EN 331, EN 377, EN 431, END 510 Engines.

I think END-457,ED, END-519 (have never seen such mark), END-672 and END-510 all were Lanovas. But the only engine I'm known of having Mack Lanova script on the exhaust manifold was Mack ED (519 c.i.).

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Very interesting. Have never heard of that and don't remember anyone ever noted on here. Do you have any factory pics of the setup or description?

And I'm sure EQ was just the next heavier series E after EH being driven with common Mack axles, single or double reduction. And the chain driven E had its special model name of ER.

Your correct I miss read manual, ER is Chain drive  and EQ is worm frive.

Most all of the 10 wheel EQ's are tag axled either dead drives  or chain driven tag.

EH - 1936-1950, the, 31539 pcs. produced, GVW is 11 tons, engine is EN454A rated at 121 hp;

EJ - 1937-1938, 762 pcs. produced, GVW is 8 tons;

EM - 1937-1943, 1584 pcs., GVW is 9.5 tons;

ER - 1936-1941, 359 pcs., GVW is 9.5 tons, chain drive,

EQ - 1937-1950, 10661 pcs. produced, GVW is 11.3 tons, engine is EN454A;

ES - 1938-1940, 75 pcs. produced, the details are unknown.

In 1950, 50 pcs were made of the version ETX. It featured a larger-diameter wheels and slightly modified front fenders.

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Very interesting. Have never heard ofthat and don't remember anyone ever noted on here. Do you have any factory pics of the setup or description?.

1045340034_MAXIAD.jpg.6cd6d31d54534c3520c871de14a51ee2.jpg

390898494_MaxiDualDriveapps.jpg.c4a9498e820b495308ee86aa5025e8f9.jpg

0c844bfc-49ab-49bf-ac31-b63c.jpg.6a634e57646f7eabce5087a783c6f3dd.jpg

1024904483_chaindrivetandems.jpg.28e1ea1bf3d931f580f3397725b54033.jpg

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE