Volvo carrying 16 missiles crashes in Idaho

kscarbel2

KXLY  /  March 9, 2019

Post Falls, Idaho – A semi-truck loaded with missiles for the U.S. military crashed at a rest stop along I-90 in northern Idaho Friday night.

According to a release, a 2016 Volvo semi-truck carrying 16 2,000-pound missiles driven by 47-year-old Mark Dearinger, was traveling eastbound through the Huetter rest area.

Idaho State Police said the 56-year-old man at the wheel was driving through the rest stop when he drove into a hazardous materials containment area – when he meant to use the interstate on-ramp.

He ended up driving over a snowbank at the end of the hazmat area, which disabled the vehicle.

The semi-truck was transporting 16 missiles, each one weighing 2,000 pounds.

After the crash, I-90 was completely shut down for four miles.

Photo 2.jpg

Picture is bad but those look like 2000# iron bombs to me. The yellow rings behind the threaded end for the detonator are consistent.

I have never seen missiles ferried in an open state as shown and was around a lot of them while in the military. Missiles were always in containers.

Fictional?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.