Test Drive: New Scania a game changer

kscarbel2

Joel Helmes, Big Rigs  /  April 4, 2019

A LOT of focus has fallen on the technology that features in the new-generation Scania truck.

But really, that's only half the story. What perhaps hasn't been highlighted well enough is the drivability and ease of use delivered by this truck.

I've sampled the new Scania in a couple of different configurations, including single trailer, B-double and B-triple, but just recently I got some time behind the wheel of this rigid - the P 360 8x2.

Piloting the Scania around the streets of southwest Sydney, the Scania is just a breeze to drive.

Your biggest challenge is remembering you're driving a 16-tonne vehicle.

The first thing you notice is the eerily quiet cab.

Turn the key and the 9-litre Scania engine kicks into life and while you can hear the engine running, you almost have to consciously listen out for it.

Visibility from the driver's seat is excellent and is aided further by a full array of fully electrically adjustable mirrors.

Seated comfortably in your leather-wrapped seat, complete with left arm-rest, the Scania brings creature comforts that we thought we might never see in heavy vehicles just a few short years ago.

Features like Digital Radio (DAB+), including a function that automatically scans for radio stations as you move from region to region, auto headlights and auto wipers, and time-based heated mirrors, all add to the premium, driver-focused, feel.

The steering in the new Scania takes some getting used to, it's light and with very little play off centre, the feel is more passenger car than truck.

Manoeuvring the big Swedish machine around the very many roundabouts dotted across my test route, the 8x2 rigid had little trouble swinging around the bends.

There are three drive modes to select with the 360hp (@1900 rpm) and 1700Nm (from 1050 rpm) engine/12-speed Opticruise combo surprisingly enthusiastic when Power mode is selected.

The truck, with just under 4.7 tonnes of load, was comfortable in the "standard” setting, though more right foot enthusiasm was required on any sort of incline.

Owners can select whether they want to have the Power mode activated on their truck, some might not if they're concerned drivers might run around full-time in the "top” setting and therefore chew up more fuel.

That's for you to decide.

I started my review of the Scania P 360 with a mention of the technology built into this truck and I believe anyone taking delivery of a new Scania should take the time to really get to know what it offers.

Some systems and aids are obvious, others you might only discover with the help of someone in the know.

For example, the Scania features a system called Downhill Cruise Control and this works simply with a touch of the brake pedal.

Designed to help you keep the truck at a safe and steady speed when negotiating a downhill grade, you simply bring the truck down to the speed you want to utilise, push the brake pedal and the system is engaged.

You get a confirmation that the function is working by way of a green light on the dash, then take your feet off everything and let the retarder, transmission and brakes do the rest.

The five-stage retarder fitted to the new Scania is pretty awesome.

It provides you with enough variation between the different stages to allow you to take off a bit of speed, or even just about bring the truck to a complete stop.

If you're into saving your brakes the retarder should help you get a long life between relines.

Some of the other clever tech includes a "manoeuvre mode” that helps control the clutch for smoother low speed manoeuvres, such as backing up to a trailer or loading dock.

There's also front and rear air suspension height adjustment and this enables you to lift or lower the front and rear of the truck with the push of a button or two.

And on the remote-control key fob you can switch on the truck's headlights - a great way to find your truck in a crowded yard.

You can push another button and start the light test function so you can be sure everything is hunky-dory before you climb into the cab.

Remarkably, these are just the start of some of the clever features and functions of the Scania.

Speaking of the Scania cab, climbing in and out is a safe and easy affair because the designers did something rather clever - they cascaded the steps out and this means when looking down you can see each step ... so no more feeling around with your foot.

I haven't forgotten an important aspect in a truck design - the features and functions when a rest is required.

The P Series cab doesn't have a flat floor, that means it's a bit of a climb into the bunk.

Once back there though you have a handy little LED reading lamp and USB outlet.

There's also a clever little pouch to store your phone while you have a kip.

I was glad to see Scania hadn't overlooked one must-have feature in a sleeper cab - a curtain that separates the main cab from the bunk.

Perhaps the only thing missing back in the sleeper, and something you might be used to, are side-mounted air-vents/ports.

There's a pop-top sunroof overhead and a slide-out fridge underneath the bunk while the many storage lockers/nooks around the Scania cab are well-sized.

Summing it up: Scania went back to the drawing board with this new-generation truck and you can see the attention to detail that they've put into the finished product.

True, it might not be to everyone's taste, however if I was spending eight or more hours in a truck cab each day this is the kind of vehicle that I would be choosing.

Safe, efficient, comfortable and smart, the new Scania really is a game changer.

Image 1.jpg