Sidetrack area

mowerman

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Bob, you say that,  but the reality of it now, is that the old days of knowing a good shop/mechanic by reputation is sliming down fast..  We now have to HOPE that the shop cares,,  and add in that ALL parts are from China, or Mexico, Or Vietnam, and so-on..  It all sucks..  because the parts quality can make or break a good mechanic...  

The radiator cap from Amazon was a Stant, a name I've heard of forever, but like everything else it was made in China. 

Jerry Ayers, a member on here and owner of several antique trucks himself, recommended the shops in Danville and Harrisonburg so I feel fully confident in either of them. I'm going to take it to the one in Danville though, just because it's a little bit closer, and it had good reviews on Google.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

TJ we could always depend on you to get our point across with exclamation yes we had a really good shop where I grew up and a good one in the LA area really don’t know where to find one here in Reno 

Delicate operation something like that, I would be very leery about anybody working on it although I’m sure any reputable shop would be able to find you a new  core warranty on China import not so sure about well. We’re out here in the middle of nowhere on a cruise ship. Don’t have service worth of shit. I can’t sent text messages or send anybody pictures but I can get on here for some reason. OK well I’ll take that. Ha ha. Good luck, Tom.Bob

I was trying to keep in touch with my sister in case of emergency. I can’t even send her messages. No, I don’t know why we’re going to hit a port a little while I’ll be able to let her know we made it 

• Like 1

Yeah, I forgot about that. The stars i  usually go by that too. Look for some of us at least 4 1/2 at least you know they’re not going to sell  your parts to Tijuana.:. Bob

ok now im fresh off the boat,,,,had a swinging time,,,,and lotsa amazing food and scenery first ocean cruise ever,,,too burned out on too much fun be laying around all day today,,,trying to recuperate,,,, yard  work and barbeque,, tomorrow,,,possibly some sanding on the mack...bob

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Bob, I am glad you enjoyed your cruise..

Never been on a cruise ship, BUT have taken the car ferry to Alaska twice.. First from Prince Rupert BC to Sitka Alaska. After pulling a 12 foot U-Haul trailer with my F-150 from Bar Harbor Maine!!!!  Second time from Bellingham, Wash to Haines Alaska via Sitka Alaska.  Great scenery and saw some whales on both trips.

Brocky

Yeah Sitka was our first stop thanks for the good cheers I had never been on one either weather was just about what I had figured wasn’t terribly cold but alotta times I was very uncomfortable…. Mainly somehow I didn’t pack any warm clothes I thought my wife packed them and she thought I did had to buy a few things… was a little uncomfortable for a guy like me that doesn’t care for cold air but the breathtaking scenery over did it. I would definitely go up there again… had some really good food as well on the ship and off …we paid extra for stepped up meals and unlimited food and booze and Starbucks lol amazing time

By taking the ferry they are a shallow enough draft to take the inland channel and do commercial work. These pictures were taken at Ketchikan or Wrangell. This man put a 40 or 45 foot reefer in the side door of the ferry.

Yak to Sitka 088.JPG

Yak to Sitka 086.JPG

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 2

Brocky

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

Did you get time to do the Totem Pole museum in Sitka??????

Yes, we even saw a bunch of the Eskimo dances. It was a lot of fun. Watch some guys hand carving totem poles

TJ I know this is a bit off the subject but a kid I grew up with has a body shop. Now in Carls Ford.  Tennessee he told me lots of rigs around there are fully chromed out. I thought that was very interesting.Mainly younger generation I would expect are still into that although I don’t think too much chrome looks good or as good as the older rigs that was kind of interesting that he said that around here are most of the young kids are driving plain white freightliners, and Volvos absolutely no goodies 

yea, plain jane volvos, freightshakers and internationals are the big thing here too because they are $100,000 cheaper than Macks, Kenworths, and Petes

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 9/1/2024 at 5:25 PM, mechohaulic said:

glad you had a great time and back safely . my younger sister has a son who lives or  lived in Alaska . she's been there many times has nothing but good things to say  about  it. 

You know the best thing about it everything and everybody moves really slow there. Nobody gets it any big hurry there’s no hustle and bustle kinda like growing up as a kid back east everything looks like it did when I was a kid vibes aura whatever you wanna call, it reminded me of the early 60s When I was very young 

• Like 1