Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

thanks, Paul I’ve mentioned I’m not auto body man professional I’m just pretty good at it, but I haven’t really done anything in 30 years or more so every little bit helps. I’ll be out there in a little while doing some more. Just woke up drinking coffee.

• Like 1

One bloke mentions a rotary rasp on a grinder is the go, your more ofbody man than me

Fiberglass (from very limited experience) is as hard as all get out 

I have never really tried to get it smooth like a motor vehicle smooth, I'm just rough and have no idea what I'm doing 

When my mate painted my truck he used a big (8 or 9 inch?) sander on the bonnet with really course paper and it tore right into it and took no time at all to rip into it, unlike me he does know what he was doing

I remember watching him and thinking "I hope he knows what he is doing" 

Happy sanding 

Paul

• Like 1

ok just about ready to start,,,thought i would try this rigid orbital,,,its brand new,last time i tryed to use it,,,the stickon sanding discs kept flying off,,,bought this high powered sticky spray,lets see what happens

thumbnail.jpg

its not going anywhere near as quick as i would have hoped for, but its coming along,,,,lotsa patience and moving the sander around quite a bit,,,i coulda done some more,,,but its such messy work,,,can only stand so much of it,,at a time,,,bob

Bob, I figured you would be using a Rasp to hand sand the fender...  What happened.. I have rasp's that will cut fast to get it to a semi smooth base. then use the D.A.   Proud of you bud,, Iv'e been a slacker on my '48....

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Bob, I figured you would be using a Rasp to hand sand the fender...  What happened.. I have rasp's that will cut fast to get it to a semi smooth base. then use the D.A.   Proud of you bud,, Iv'e been a slacker on my '48....

i have a very rough sanding pad on my grinder,,,,but i didnt wanna cut it down too quick,,,only for very high spots,,,,but atleast your cornbinder,,,doesnt look like shit,like mine does,,,,,time baby   lol..bob

• Haha 1

Maybe just a couple of quick passes to start with the flap discs just to knock the high spots down. A good rasp about 12"s long or an 18" sanding board to work it from there. I usually start my surfaces with 36 grit on my sanding board and work up from there in grit, roughing in with 220 grit before going to other tools and grits. The board will help you develop flat surfaces and using it with two hands you can make quick work of large surfaces. The longer board will get to waves out and give you a flat surface and you can work the rounded areas to by twisting and rolling it around. I'll take a picture of the board I'm talking tomorrow for you.

• Like 1