Any Chance of Mack Offering a Diesel Electric Hybrid Truck like Edison Motors?

Government mandates that are forcing EV transition in the auto industry is also targeting the heavy truck industry. Edison Motors in Canada ( see video in link) started by two logging truckers have come up with an innovative idea that is more viable for many trucks to avoid the drawbacks of Electric Vehicles such range, charging availability and costs. The truck uses a diesel electric hybrid set up similar to freight trains to over a truck that is both more efficient than traditional trucks while having a lot of torque. A 9 liter Cat engine paired with a electric generator allows the truck to achieve 20 mpg and even regenerative braking avoiding the need for having a engine braking system.

They also have conversion powertrain kits for older trucks and converted an old Kenworth W923 logging truck to this powertrain.

It seems that such a technology could be viable to other truck uses as well. 

Is there any chance Mack might develop something like this with newly designed trucks such as the ones that will be using the Volvo cab?

the new trucks get great fuel mileage. 

my new Kenworth with 600cummins and allison auto trans will see 10 mpg on long interstate highway runs. even loaded in city it sees 6-7 mpg. 

far better than the 5 on the road and 3 in city of the 99 mack with 400 and 8ll trans.

so i have no doubt that in a properly designed diesel/electric unit they could not see 15+ mpg like BobWhite says

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 2/25/2024 at 6:21 PM, terry said:

But I thought the EV push was to eliminate gas and diesel engines?  Terry:MackLogo:

Yep thats what people in the virtual world thought but real world conditions came knocking. Real truckers designed a truck using the best of both worlds that is more practical and less expensive. There was an article in the most recent Wheels of Time on them

real truckers designed a truck that uses

Edited by Jamaican Bulldog
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 7:05 PM, terry said:

So that story of Jamaican bulldog don’t make sense, it uses a diesel engine,right? Terry:MackLogo:

It uses a 9 liter Cat diesel engine with a electric generator and components similar to a freight train and get up to 20 mpg. Its not a pure EV so it doesn’t have the limitations of one. I believe they can have any motor that is sufficient to turn the generator 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/27/2024 at 6:14 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

It uses a 9 liter Cat diesel engine with a electric generator and components similar to a freight train and get up to 20 mpg. Its not a pure EV so it doesn’t have the limitations of one. I believe they can have any motor that is sufficient to turn the generator 

8 minutes ago, fjh said:
On 2/27/2024 at 6:14 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Twice the torque of diesel!

they have yet to put it to work doing the job they intended it to do! It moved a full load of logs on flat ground just fine time will tell if it does it’s intended job! As a side note they have decided on scania as the engine they will proceed with when they get rolling! Unless a customer wants other than!

• Like 1

I think a lot of people have missed the point of whats behind this idea

The logs are generally up the mountain and the mill down the mountain 

The lads describe it in a video like this

Truck is charged over night

Morning the truck is charged and drives to logging coupe 

Truck loads and as it decends the mountain back to the mill with a load on the regenerative braking charges the batteries back up

The truck gets to the mill, unloads and is fully charged and the cycle continues 

The diesel motor is only used on log journeys to mills further away were the electric charge isn't enough to reach the mill

In normal operation the diesel should be rarely used

Paul

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I think a lot of people have missed the point of whats behind this idea

The logs are generally up the mountain and the mill down the mountain 

The lads describe it in a video like this

Truck is charged over night

Morning the truck is charged and drives to logging coupe 

Truck loads and as it decends the mountain back to the mill with a load on the regenerative braking charges the batteries back up

The truck gets to the mill, unloads and is fully charged and the cycle continues 

The diesel motor is only used on log journeys to mills further away were the electric charge isn't enough to reach the mill

In normal operation the diesel should be rarely used

Paul

Correct! Paul , As I said it’s intended job! And I wish they would get on with it ! Elon has been baiting people on with his full electrical situation for years now with no solid outcome!these guys don’t need to follow the same path! There is tons of equipment that could benefit from what they are doing! 

• Like 1

Those guys are screwed. No one higher in the pecking order is ever gonna let them continue. Their ideas make entirely too much sense. Best they can hope for is to get paid well to go away. They've already been snubbed by government. It's a shame. I love what they're doing, and don't see how anyone could go wrong wading into electric trucks the way they're going about it. ( if that's what someone wanted to do ) All these clowns with the say don't really want what they talk about.  If I had to guess, I'd say these guys have generated  (pun intended) more interest in electrifying commercial vehicals amungst people in transportation who aren't getting subsidies (guys like ....us) than anyone else has. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Those guys are screwed. No one higher in the pecking order is ever gonna let them continue. Their ideas make entirely too much sense. Best they can hope for is to get paid well to go away. They've already been snubbed by government. It's a shame. I love what they're doing, and don't see how anyone could go wrong wading into electric trucks the way they're going about it. ( if that's what someone wanted to do ) All these clowns with the say don't really want what they talk about.  If I had to guess, I'd say these guys have generated  (pun intended) more interest in electrifying commercial vehicals amungst people in transportation who aren't getting subsidies (guys like ....us) than anyone else has. 

Agree ! We can hope I guess ! Some one with deep pockets may buy em out and bury it!

I'm not sure I like this..  I watched the video, yes, it's impressive, but to me it is also depressing...  They are feeding the electric vehicle mandates that non of us need..  sorry guys...  not a fan right now..

25 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm not sure I like this..  I watched the video, yes, it's impressive, but to me it is also depressing...  They are feeding the electric vehicle mandates that non of us need..  sorry guys...  not a fan right now..

All good Joey! Better than any any alternative I’ve seen so far though!  Elon hasn’t proven anything yet!

• Like 1