owner/ operator

You can add my name to the list of people who are cautioning against pushing it too far. 

I made my living with engines that were 30-40 years out of date, even though they were the Cummins 855, the most common engine used in trucks, there were some parts that took some time to find 40 years on.

Most truck engine can go 15-20% over stock and keep together long term. Once you go much over that, you are asking for problems. 

Unless your customers are far different then mine, they never cared how big an engine I had, only that their freight got delivered when they needed it. I pulled load exceeding what you do, over some of the same passes you pull. 

Biggest problem when turning up engines is keeping them cool, both coolant and EGT.  Pulling a long grade, you'll find it real quick.  One of those track pulling engines wouldn't  last a mile pulling a grade with a full load.

If you want to build a truck to "play with" and have deep pockets, have at it. If you are building something to make a living with, then stay close to stock. My customers never cared that I pulled up in a 40 year old cabover with 380-430 Hp, (turned up 350's and 400's) just that I turned up on time. Customer isn't going to care you are 1st to the top of the grade, if it means you are broke down a lot of the time. Parts stash at home means little if you are on the side of the road with a loaded trailer and need to be towed.

I worked train derailments with a 238 hp powered Fleetstar, and hauled 170,000lbs with 400 hp. It is far too easy to break things with high hp than low, I moved those 170,000lb loads through a 14 organic clutch!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Well, I pull loaded down triple trailers across 80 top out at 66 miles an hour I would be pissing myself to be able to pass  anybody flat ground or hill… my personal opinion on jacking up your engine is like mentioned very old and hard to get parts for I wouldn’t do it, but each his own If you really need more power, I would go for a 600cummins  Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, Rurey logging said:

FORGOT to mention, got line on 2 more E9 we are going to try and pick up for a song and a dance, one is in pieces but heads  have been rebuilt all the rest is good no turbo though, the other is running but has a leaking head gasket  Dave

If you don't mind having the husks laying around that's the way to go! For logging and dump work the E9 will live long for you if you don't over do the fuel ! We sold many of these to haul logs and dumps here they stood up better doing this than long hauling ! If you started trying to use 500 HP for long periods at a time was when the issues showed up!

• Like 2

On 6/13/2024 at 11:31 PM, fjh said:

If you started trying to use 500 HP for long periods at a time was when the issues showed up!

I believe many road train operators would only get 300,000km out of the first E9's, things improved as the years went by and Mack got the bugs ironed out

There was a reason a lot of long distance roadtrains specced the E6 over the E9 many years after the E9 was available 

Paul 

• Like 2

And just a tad more useless information 

As as I know the highest spec E6 was 350 hp, at the time the E9 was 500 hp

The little E6 was a mighty motor punching well above it's weight pulling 115 ton, day in, day out for a million miles between rebuilds

A lot more E6 motors were on road train work than E9's 

I would guess only 1 in 10 was E9, around this time was when Mack started to loose it's dominance 9n road train work

3406 Cat and red head Cummins really hit their straps not as much power in the Cat but roll a fresh set of bearings at 500,000 km and they were a million mile motor as well

Cummins were pretty good as well

2 stroke GM'S never really were dominant in this type of work 

Series 60's though had a good name

The E9 was a monster but never lasted the distance, if it had of it would of been supreme 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

OMG most amusing thread I've read yet ! One must ask himself, are there more E9 huggers or tree huggers on this planet ? Rurey late E9's rock ass ! Find an E9 enthusiast lover non "hugger" and talk mods... Mod that bitch to about 1200 HP properly maintain it and make sure you're the only one that operates the go pedal and the stick between the seats and let it rip !!! Possibly the most detuned 999CI turbo diesel motor rated at 500HP ever produced, 1,000HP rated in some off road applications huh makes one wonder hey ? I'll bring my Douche` level up a notch, rule of thumb (in my day) was always in an above average internal component motor 1HP per CI was was safe, If I recall the numbers correctly back in the early 90's the Chevy 454 was rated @ 230HP in a so called SS truck OMG I think I just puked in my mouth ! The word conservative has always struck me funny, in politics Trump is categorized as conservative (Republican) yet the most ruthless arrogant aggressive criminal in the history of presidents, with all due respect, here conservative is leave your E9 @ 500HP or you'll hurt it ? HAHA all in good fun I love this site and everyone on it ! We need a RANT thread like on the Squarebody site ! Let it rip !!!

Fastduramax,  you own you r opinion..  no biggie,,  if he builds it like you say, other parts of the driveline will break.. So as a money maker, it needs to run stock or maybe just a small amout of tweeking..  Sure wish I had your money,,  I could buld some cool sh!t..  :)  

• Like 1

Not apples to apples by any means but funny food for thought... I recently built a 572CI BBC for my 86 Squarebody Chevy K10 shortbed, Dyno'd @ 675HP 725TQ VERY "conservative" for an engine of this configuration but proper for a truck that will weigh in at about 5000 pounds in a prom dress, well mannered and streetable yet nasty was the goal... That said all internals I chose for this motor were rated in excess of 1200HP for 2 reasons, My OCD number 1 and future option (if I hit the lottery) either twin turbo or blower... Now I'll bet the bank if we talked to an E9 engineer he would not tell us the E9 was engineered for a max HP of 500 like the MIGHTY E6 was for 350 !! 

• Like 1

And yes Joey I have a strong "biased" opinion of the E9, back in the late 80's and 90's several dudes in the area got their paws on an E9 me being one of the lucky ones, they were all juiced and timed to the edge and they fucking HAULED ASS ! The big money dudes messed around with "Ausie" spec massive turbos that really made an animal ! Don't remember a single motor coming unglued and we pull nothing but hills around here it sucks ! Anyway those days are far gone, those things would roll coal that would make the car behind you crash and today our environment is much more sacred...

wish I was there to see those power houses..  I guess, because parts are hard to get, is why we/I build stock engines.  not sure where Peru is, so I will guess N.West near the Berkshires,  I-90 Jacobs ladder area..  BTW. all the 25 year old country boys around here want supped up Duramax's..  You could make a killing here.  

HAHA Yes sir that's exactly where I reside ! You obviously know the area the way you geographically know the landmarks ! Hey give me a shout anytime if you are up this way, and honestly I created my handle in 03 when I bought my first Dmax and started my diesel addiction, next was my 07 I twin turbo'd 1,000HP ended up in a pine box, went to F350 in 14 then 16 for 2 reasons, the excellent corporate motor and excellent transmission that holds 750HP stock, damn Allisons then $4500 minimum build to hold a semi aggressive tune JUNK ! Shit my last 12 speed only shorted me $4500 lol, anyway the handle stuck its my email and handle everywhere so I stuck with it, I hate extreme change hell I still own my 88 RD 

• Like 1

I used to truck.. been over the ladder a few times and been to Adams a few times, about 25 years ago..  I ran the northeast region for a few years..  then went into the shop, and became a Mack Mechanic with certs and such, 20 years at that gig..  Now I work for my City. I am the maintenance lead over 2 waste water plants..  its a cushy job, with strong responsibilities..  Have a good one... Jojo