Spoke Hubs in 2024

Go to solution Solved by The Heinz,

I was just wondering if anybody knows or has bought a new Mack in the past few years. Can you still order a Mack (probably a Granite if any) with spoke hubs and dayton wheels? I know there were some pictures of a couple a few years back of some sitting at the Mack factory but I think they were for an export customer. Just wondering if you can still get spoke hubs new in 2024 if one so desired.

Posted (edited)

I know finding them is difficult, when looking for replacements. Many of the older trailer types have been discontinued. 

As the  hub/bearing size and spacing has been consolidated on drive axles, it shouldn't take many part numbers to service most drive axles.

I converted most of my tractors to spokes. 

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 1

I was wondering that myself last couple of times I’ve been back there. I noticed there’s not that money around anymore. Everything went to.budds years back. That’s all there was  … spoke wheels on everything.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mowerman said:

I was wondering that myself last couple of times I’ve been back there. I noticed there’s not that money around anymore. Everything went to.budds years back. That’s all there was  … spoke wheels on everything.

Spokes and disks were competing back in the 40's and 30's likely before that. I have two 40's K IHC's one on disks and the other on spoke.

I pulled Motor Wheel hub pilots off my Marmon and installed spokes after too many cracked wheels and studs.  

The one time I spec'd a new vehicle (Trailer) it was with spokes and sliding tandem. Salesman tried to talk me out of it, said it wouldn't have resale value, he was right, the trailer was crap, the wheels were the best part of it!

Edited by Geoff Weeks

Is it me??  Or are Australian trucks just better looking and tougher looking?   I always like the pictures of Aussie truck's.. 

• Like 1

yes, a good part of them have air start and spoke  wheels look like they’re ready for some hard work and Geoff,,, I really like the looks of them on the trailers. I grew up in New England worked in a truck tire.shop in 73 and that’s all I ever worked on was split rim spoke wheels… bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Weeks said:

Needs "baby moon's" on the steer hub also! Like them on the drives

They probably can’t find the right clips. The back is easy. I’m thinking of putting them on my truck. Just have to make up my own clips Just a thought I don’t know about actually do it

42 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Chevy41 was going to help me get a couple of hubs that hold the hubcaps shipped out here… but he disappeared shortly after bob

I often wonder were he is, he seemed to be happy in his new life 

Hope he didn't drop off the perch 

Paul 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mowerman said:

They probably can’t find the right clips. The back is easy. I’m thinking of putting them on my truck. Just have to make up my own clips Just a thought I don’t know about actually do it

The bracket that allows you to mount them on a trailer, work just fine on the front. They bolt on over the oil hubcap and have 4 prongs that the babymoons snap onto. Unlike disk wheels the center of the hub is inside of the outside of the tire.

BTW my Marmon and my '89 IHC had air start and spoke hubs.

CIMG4076.JPG

front tire.jpg

Edited by Geoff Weeks

17 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

The bracket that allows you to mount them on a trailer, work just fine on the front. They bolt on over the oil hubcap and have 4 prongs that the babymoons snap onto. Unlike disk wheels the center of the hub is inside of the outside of the tire.

BTW my Marmon and my '89 IHC had air start and spoke hubs.

CIMG4076.JPG

front tire.jpg

Excellent thanks for that. I haven’t decided what I’m gonna do yet since I’m not a big fan of chrome depending on what it is, I might just paint everything including the mirrors and brackets as I mentioned the stock Mack hubcaps are probably out of the question. It’s nice to know I could use them if I wanted to and 10 four on the air start and spokes excellent combination

18 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I often wonder were he is, he seemed to be happy in his new life 

Hope he didn't drop off the perch 

Paul 

Well, I hate to say this Paul, but I really think he moved onto greener pastures married that chick from Israel and I think something happened to him over there since the country is always fighting with somebody bob

The baby moons were the only "Bling" on my trucks, the nut covers got a little grease on the inside to keep the rust off the studs.  Getting hard to find 1 1/4" nut covers.

The hubs in both pictures need a re-paint, but both were hard working trucks, not trailer/show queens.

8 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

The baby moons were the only "Bling" on my trucks, the nut covers got a little grease on the inside to keep the rust off the studs.  Getting hard to find 1 1/4" nut covers.

The hubs in both pictures need a re-paint, but both were hard working trucks, not trailer/show queens.

Ha ha Amazon it’s amazing what they carry or what they can get. I even went on there and found various shapes and sizes and colors for toggle switch extensions.

10 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

Ha ha Amazon it’s amazing what they carry or what they can get. I even went on there and found various shapes and sizes and colors for toggle switch extensions.

I was considering chroming my hubcaps like Matt did, but I’m probably gonna paint them gray along with the rims I was fixing on doing the spokes green, but up in the air with that also, I might paint the spokes, black and the rims gray not sure what I’m going to do yet since that’s the way most factory trucks came back in those days

The question still stands: Can you purchase a 2024 Mack with spoke hubs from the factory? Paul said you can in AU. My question pertains to USA. The newest Mack I have seen with factory spoke wheels was a 2003 Granite.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think as long as the hubs are available they could be special ordered.  Right before I retired I saw a brand new side dump trailer being delivered somewhere with 24" rubber on it (hub pilot). It might not be a RPO but I would be surprised a mfg would say 'No" to a request for them. Might delay delivery for a while.

Edited by Geoff Weeks

14 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

I think as long as the hubs are available they could be special ordered.  Right before I retired I saw a brand new side dump trailer being delivered somewhere with 24" rubber on it (hub pilot). It might not be a RPO but I would be surprised a mfg would say 'No" to a request for them. Might delay delivery for a while.

Did you end up selling your Marmon or do you still have it?