2V maxidyne, issue pulling heads off

I'm trying to pull both heads off to do head gaskets. And one of the studs I think is carbon seized in the head.  The heads came up off the block about 1/2" but to get that it needed lots of prying on the front head. The rear head is moving freely.  it's just the front head and a middle stud that won't wiggle at all. I'm about to weld a nut to the stud just to see if I can remove the stud itself. 

Am I missing something here or is it likely what I'm thinking with a carbon build up siezed stud? Any tricks to try before I weld the nut to the stud?

I did pull all hoses,the tip turbine bracket with 3 head studs under it. All studs are free or nuts came off the studs. It's just one stud that lookes like a tight fit and when I pry the head will not move up around it. 

20240608_142224.jpg

20240608_142218.jpg

20240608_142215.jpg

20240608_105609.jpg

can you double nut the stud and back it out?  the studs are set hand tight then back a half turn, so i suspect rust in the head bore.  I have extra nuts and studs if you damage them..  jojo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

can you double nut the stud and back it out?  the studs are set hand tight then back a half turn, so i suspect rust in the head bore.  I have extra nuts and studs if you damage them..  jojo

I can't with the factory nuts as it has a deep shoulder below the hex and very little  thread is exposed when tight

I can probably double nut it if I force the head back down to expose more threads and then grind down a nut and thread it on first. 

I'm going to tinker with it some more tomorrow after the rain clears. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something as it's been 10 years since I last pulled a head on a 2v

• Like 1

Note the intake and exhaust manifolds have flexible joints in them, two on the exhaust and one on the intake

Your heads are most likely binding on the studs as the heads droop a bit

Paul

• Like 1

If you can get the head up a 1/2 Inch you may be able to stick something in between the head and the piston and force it up by barring over the motor. I've seen fokes stuff rags down spark plug (injector) holes and force heads off that way. Probably should be your last ditch effort as this could screw something up.

You could also try and pulling the head up as far as it will go and clamping vice grips on the stud from the bottom to try and get it loose. That way you don't screw up the threads. Good Luck! 

Edited by BOBWhite

Thanks for the help everyone

I was able to double nut the one stuck stud and wound it out.  It was really gummed up. Had to wind the stud up and down with penetrant oil to get it pulled ot out all the others cam out with my fingers. With all the studs removed the Heads came off like butter as an assembly. I had all the studs removed but still sitting in their holes as I was trying to keep them in order as I'm doing this job outside and have limited work space. But That's another story.

Yes i saw the tips, I sat the heads on a few boards as to not crush the injector tips. I'm just slapping a new head gasket on and going. Hopefully it's not a cracked liner and I'll be back up and running after I get the replacement head gaskets end of this week.

20240610_134717.jpg

20240610_134718.jpg

20240610_134705.jpg

20240610_134703.jpg

Resized_Resized_20240610_134635_1718045205639_1718045210857.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

I was able to double nut the one stuck stud and wound it out.  It was really gummed up. Had to wind the stud up and down with penetrant oil to get it pulled ot out all the others cam out with my fingers. With all the studs removed the Heads came off like butter as an assembly. I had all the studs removed but still sitting in their holes as I was trying to keep them in order as I'm doing this job outside and have limited work space. But That's another story.

Yes i saw the tips, I sat the heads on a few boards as to not crush the injector tips. I'm just slapping a new head gasket on and going. Hopefully it's not a cracked liner and I'll be back up and running after I get the replacement head gaskets end of this week.

20240610_134717.jpg

20240610_134718.jpg

20240610_134705.jpg

20240610_134703.jpg

Doubt it’s a cracked liner ! Make sure the fire ring grooves are clean and not too shuffled!

• Like 2

only one gummed up stud !! you  came out lucky. many times due to time constrains head gaskets are changed  with heads still clamped together  by manifolds. it will work BUT life span of the gaskets may be shortened. when heads are set/torqued individually torque per head is tad more accurate. 

• Like 1

toolbox always had a drawer with the plastic caps for things such as open ports on injection pump. any work activity such as the removal of heads put dirt/grit in those holes. at least a rag to cover. just sayin. looking at those excellent pictures has the brain cells going "remember when " the fun days. after assembly ; best part is sound engine makes on start up.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I made a lifting bar that lets me pull both heads at the same time. It is fine if the intake is a 2 peice the water manifold is anyway. Those typically had leaking exhaust gaskets, so it wasnt a big deal and it saves time. once on the bench, I will pull manifolds as needed and prep them, put intake and water manifold on with new gaskets and hoses, set the heads back on and do the line up with a straight edge then the exh manifolds..  ...  

• Like 2

might have to keep some pictures close by on reassembly. at least the picture showing location of the three odd ball studs used to clamp angle bracket for tip-turbine fan(intercooler) brace.

• Like 2

thats one that i have ZERO knowledge of.  I know a tip turbin when I see one, but have never pulled one apart...  maybe someday, who knows..   I did get a call today from a past customer.. he wants me to show him how to re-build an E-7 ..  I just have to buy the cam bushing driver head, otherwise I have all the tools I need.  I have built 5 engines for him and have one in my shop here that is his dad's, so I guess I have mre work in the future..  :) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I made a lifting bar that lets me pull both heads at the same time. It is fine if the intake is a 2 peice the water manifold is anyway. Those typically had leaking exhaust gaskets, so it wasnt a big deal and it saves time. once on the bench, I will pull manifolds as needed and prep them, put intake and water manifold on with new gaskets and hoses, set the heads back on and do the line up with a straight edge then the exh manifolds..  ...  

pulling both as one unit  -no problem . except when only lifting device is two hands and strong back.  the reassembly done MANY times as one unit works. prefer reassembly as two separate  units myself. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

20240610_134717.jpg

20240610_134718.jpg

20240610_134705.jpg

20240610_134703.jpg

Trent you sure that’s not a 315?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fjh said:

Doubt it’s a cracked liner ! Make sure the fire ring grooves are clean and not too shuffled!

Hope not. Liners were very smooth so she probably needs new rings and a cross hatch. At that point might as well inframe it. I'm not sure if it's ever been rebuilt.

Pistons looked very clean for it's age. No carbon build up on them or heads.

What is the 542c stamp on the piston telling us.?

20240610_135343.jpg