Mack Remembrance - John “Jack” B. Curcio

kscarbel2

wow,,,,thanks for that,,,,just spotted it,,,was quite the amazing individuals to say the least,,wow   ,,,,this country could a lot more like him.,,,no i did not know him but i have definately heard his name before somewhere...bob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, harrybarbon said:

KS please do you know where John Curcio went to work after Mack sold Hayes to Paccar?

He was promoted by Zenon to executive VP of international sales where he did well.

Before Khomeini took over in 1979, 98 percent of the trucks sold to Iran were Macks. When I ran Mack International, we averaged sales of 4,000 to 4,500 trucks per year in 1975-79 in Iran (7,000 units in 1975). At that time, Iran Drilling was one of our customers. I’m sure they’ve missed the strength, longevity and reliability of a Mack. We still have between 35,000 and 55,000 Mack trucks operating in Iran.

John Curcio (August 1987)

(When Iran closed its doors to American business in 1979, Mack reported a yearly loss of $60 million on truck assembly kits – the equivalent of 10 trucks per day.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

He was promoted by Zenon to executive VP of international sales where he did well.

Before Khomeini took over in 1979, 98 percent of the trucks sold to Iran were Macks. When I ran Mack International, we averaged sales of 4,000 to 4,500 trucks per year in 1975-79 in Iran (7,000 units in 1975). At that time, Iran Drilling was one of our customers. I’m sure they’ve missed the strength, longevity and reliability of a Mack. We still have between 35,000 and 55,000 Mack trucks operating in Iran.

John Curcio (August 1987)

(When Iran closed its doors to American business in 1979, Mack reported a yearly loss of $60 million on truck assembly kits – the equivalent of 10 trucks per day.)

Thank you. I appreciate the information and knowledge you have to share with us. How one event has such a significant financial impact, which probably in combination with other factors caused the demise of Mack Trucks company which lead to the 50% acquisition by Renault.

• Like 1

You know I heard in 1965. Mack trucks was in some kind of financial distress. Not sure what that was all about but then the new models came out later that year and everything exploded for them. I read somewhere that they was record sales somewhere around 68 to 1970 for mack trucks. I don’t doubt that

I think the R model was the sweet spot for Mack trucks, production was from 1966 to 1990 and some particular models in the R range continued for longer, Mack motors and gear boxes proved their worth and reliability across many applications throughout the period. Just consider that 30,000 plus R models are operating in Iran. Vlad's photos speak volumes, the Iranian R models are not show ponies but they continue to do the job.  

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 6:40 PM, mowerman said:

You know I heard in 1965. Mack trucks was in some kind of financial distress. Not sure what that was all about but then the new models came out later that year and everything exploded for them. I read somewhere that they was record sales somewhere around 68 to 1970 for mack trucks. I don’t doubt that

In 1965, Mack was on the verge of bankruptcy. The board invited Zenon to come talk with them. Zenon knew the dire situation, but was excited to turn around a great company with huge potential. Alike his friend Vince Lombardi, Zenon loved challenges and wasn't a quitter.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information. I have observed how history repeats constantly in corporations, companies become successful through the efforts of real leaders, the next leader may maintain the success or even add to it or loss it, then the following CEO wreaks havoc and the company and sadly the many hard working staff suffer. International Harvester is an example of a once hugely successful company that failed. 

The massive share benefit approved by the Tesla board and shareholders is another example of a wrong decision. The add by Castrol Oil company is valid today and tomorrow - oils ain't oils. Is giving Musk that share allocation going to convert into a world resurgence of Tesla? Will Musk dedicate himself solely to Tesla, I doubt it. The Board of Tesla has failed it's shareholders and the greater community.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Who was at the helm when Mack allowed Signal in and who was at the helm when Mack allowed Renault in. Doing business with the devil (Renault) allowed Mack to be floating in the wind for a Volvo (devil 2) takeover. Don't blame Volvo- Blame the Mack board of directors and at the time CEO(devil 3)

!

Edited by james j neiweem
Clarification
  • Like 1

oh by the way happy delated birthday,,,,the electric vehicle racket has maxed out,,,theres only so many people interested as hot tubs welders skateboards,,,,thier is only so many of the public that need them,,,as far as CEOs go as time goes on thier just getting dumber,,,thier as bad as politicians,,,they just fill the seats and draw big paychecks,,,,,i was talking to a UPS driver a while back and he was telling me its the same way over there all there all thier executives are beancounters none of them really know anything about the business,,,,bob