EM6-285 engine

Not all that much experience with Mack engines - looking at an older Mack with an EM6-285. From the limited website info out there, seems like a reliable engine. All mechanical I assume, are parts still available for these engines? Engine is backed by an Allison HT-740. Drove many 2 cycle Detroits with Allisons in my years as a volly fire fighter, but no Macks. The only Mack fire apparatus I remember was a 70's Aerialscope, but I never drove it. 

Also, with a VIN, can a Mack dealer provide drivetrain details on specific chassis? Thanks in advance for any info.

On 6/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, 933Scope said:

Not all that much experience with Mack engines - looking at an older Mack with an EM6-285. From the limited website info out there, seems like a reliable engine. All mechanical I assume, are parts still available for these engines? Engine is backed by an Allison HT-740. Drove many 2 cycle Detroits with Allisons in my years as a volly fire fighter, but no Macks. The only Mack fire apparatus I remember was a 70's Aerialscope, but I never drove it. 

Also, with a VIN, can a Mack dealer provide drivetrain details on specific chassis? Thanks in advance for any info.

Dealer should in theory with a vin give you some info if you can capture there interest !

• Haha 1

What year is the truck? In general these are fantastic engines, if a bit small compared to modern engines.  Weak point on these is the valve lifter tappets.  They use a carbide face welded on.  The carbide can crack, drop a piece off, then shave the lobe off the cam rather quickly.  You'll hear a misfire and when you pop the valve covers one rocker will have excess lash from the missing lobe.

Someone said on here recently that the E7 motor lifters are interchangeable?? But I am unfamiliar with this detail.  Camshaft might be available through PAI.  

As long as you don't try and squeeze more HP out of the engine it should be very reliable. Mack engineered these engines to the perfect balance of durability and power.  Deviating towards power will quickly sacrifice reliability.

• Like 2

Any dealer should be able to give you info as long as it has a 13 digit VIN. If it's old enough to have a 10 digit, it will depend on how knowledgeable they are. For instance, looking up parts for a 10-digit was near impossible for me because someone threw away all the old parts books, because "why would we keep these? They don't make us money any more." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the responses - truck is a 1988. If I were to get the truck, no plans to try to get more HP out of it. It is a single axle with a 29,900 GVWR, max GCW would be maybe 40k lbs or so. I drove many Detroit 6V-92s with Allisons in my volly FD days; performance in a 35k lb pumper was adequate from my experience. I'm assuming a 285 Mack would perform as good or better than a 6V-92?

41 minutes ago, 933Scope said:

Thanks for the responses - truck is a 1988. If I were to get the truck, no plans to try to get more HP out of it. It is a single axle with a 29,900 GVWR, max GCW would be maybe 40k lbs or so. I drove many Detroit 6V-92s with Allisons in my volly FD days; performance in a 35k lb pumper was adequate from my experience. I'm assuming a 285 Mack would perform as good or better than a 6V-92?

Easily and a lot quieter!

• Like 1

All v8 and e6 ! had issues then e7 came along the lifter was changed! The new style lifter will fit all the engines and is very resilient IF YOU CAN FIND THEM! Volvo has done a great job of burrying  the older parts they want you to buy a new truck with Volvo trash components ! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fjh said:

All v8 and e6 ! had issues then e7 came along the lifter was changed! The new style lifter will fit all the engines and is very resilient IF YOU CAN FIND THEM! Volvo has done a great job of burrying  the older parts they want you to buy a new truck with Volvo trash components ! 

Ah.....   so the newer style lifters will fit the old E6 and V8 engines?  This is an upgrade that might be added to my list if this is the case.

1 hour ago, Full Floater said:

Ah.....   so the newer style lifters will fit the old E6 and V8 engines?  This is an upgrade that might be added to my list if this is the case.

I remember looking this up for someone else on here and found the old E6 lifter superseded to the newer E7 one. I'll edit this once I find the part number and whether they're available through Mack right now. I think PAI had them when I searched last. 

EDIT: Found it: part number 72GC357 supersedes to 20705596, which is currently available through Mack. PAI does not have any of these anymore it seems. Also to note, we can only order them in batches of 12 because why would it make sense? 

Edited by The Heinz

18 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

I remember looking this up for someone else on here and found the old E6 lifter superseded to the newer E7 one. I'll edit this once I find the part number and whether they're available through Mack right now. I think PAI had them when I searched last. 

EDIT: Found it: part number 72GC357 supersedes to 20705596, which is currently available through Mack. PAI does not have any of these anymore it seems. Also to note, we can only order them in batches of 12 because why would it make sense? 

Called entrapment! They do that with lots of parts ! Exhaust nuts in quantities of 10 ! How many on an engine? 12ehuast gaskets quantity of 10 how many on an engine 6 ! Better in your inventory than theirs! They have done this for years ! Evil Turds! Screw the next guy!

• Thanks 1

FJH,,, you hit a nerve with me..  I used to get pissed off when ordering these parts..   How hard is the math??  really??  12 studs and nuts for exh, 6 gaskets.  ppackage them complete or in 6 packs...   F'n stupid !!