Heat Warning

navypoppop

Paul, back 30-40 years ago heat did not bother me that much, but I still needed cool to sleep.

It was nothing to get out of the dm800 after 14 hours paving in the summer 10 pounds less than you were in the morning climbing into the truck.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 6/24/2024 at 4:40 AM, The Heinz said:

Me and Joey are experiencing nearly the same weather, and I can assure you it still sucks even if you're a youngin like me. I've done very little and am already sweating like a preacher in a strip club, and the air is as heavy as Portland's skinniest feminist. I need to ask my granddad what he and his family did before they had AC, I genuinely wonder how farmers and laboring people didn't fall out more often than they did. 

Also, we used to use a lot of fans  at our house. We didn’t own an air conditioner until around 1970… bob

my old place was 75% underground. so it would never get over around 70 even on the hottest days. 

winter was different. usually around 60 or so. but there were a few times i woke up to a skim of ice in the toilet. 

didn't even have a working heater until the last 5 years there. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

14 hours ago, tjc transport said:

my old place was 75% underground. so it would never get over around 70 even on the hottest days. 

winter was different. usually around 60 or so. but there were a few times i woke up to a skim of ice in the toilet. 

didn't even have a working heater until the last 5 years there. 

My gas central heating unit "sh.. itself" last Saturday night. Night lows are 3 celsius and day top 14. Lucky I still have a gas oven so it is my heating for now and works very well to warm the house. I also bought a French made convention electric heater and it is cheap to run and helps to heat the house with the gas heater, better than the central heating did. And convection unit is efficient and no dust like comes from the ducts. Our limp left state premier and her previous dictator ultra left boss, banned all gas powered heating, cooking and hot water for usages in Victoria Australia from January 2025. That is houses, apartments, office buildings, cafes and restaurants etc. All new commercial kitchens have to have electric cooking services. Existing gas equipment whatever it is can be replaced if required, for the time being. The Vic govt has banned all gas exploration for some years. We are being led to serious consequences, and gas and electric power is sky high in price. All new land subdivisions are banned from putting in gas services, only electric is allowed. The opposition say they will reverse this ban if they get elected 🫰🙏  

On 6/24/2024 at 6:40 AM, The Heinz said:

. I need to ask my granddad what he and his family did before they had AC, I genuinely wonder how farmers and laboring people didn't fall out more often than they did. 

I think you'll find that they adapted their work as much as possible around the weather. Farmers did more strenuous work in the cooler parts of the day. 

Factory work must have been brutal, however.

Where I am in Western Iowa, I get good breezes which make even 90's livable if not comfortable. The hard part is when it stays in the 80's at night with dew points in the upper 70's and the wind dies. That is why I have window A/C's.

I have notices an increase in summer temps and dew points since I have lived here, even while the rain totals have dropped considerably. 

We have something called "corn sweat" which the moisture lost from the ag plants leaves that drive up the dew point when compared to  the nearby cities, their actual temperature is a few degrees hotter but our dew points make us at least as uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Geoff Weeks said:

I think you'll find that they adapted their work as much as possible around the weather. Farmers did more strenuous work in the cooler parts of the day. 

Factory work must have been brutal, however.

Where I am in Western Iowa, I get good breezes which make even 90's livable if not comfortable. The hard part is when it stays in the 80's at night with dew points in the upper 70's and the wind dies. That is why I have window A/C's.

I have notices an increase in summer temps and dew points since I have lived here, even while the rain totals have dropped considerably. 

We have something called "corn sweat" which the moisture lost from the ag plants leaves that drive up the dew point when compared to  the nearby cities, their actual temperature is a few degrees hotter but our dew points make us at least as uncomfortable.

Dew points and humidity are extremely common to us down here too, and man can it be brutal. A week or so ago, we had pretty high temps but with low humidity, and it was pretty livable just like the people from the western US say. But this week, this week has been awful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

I know exactly what you're talking about with corn sweat, the air feels hot and sticky with a sweet smell to it. Near feedlots seems to be where it's the worst.

My dad would tell me about fixing irrigation pivots in the summer when he was a kid and wow that sounded hot, with the humidity and not even the slightest breeze in the middle of the corn field. 

Down here in Melbourne Australia late last year the bureau forecast the El Ninio and we would have a long dry and hot summer. That forecast did not eventuate. We have not had a day over 40 celsius for 5 years and I cannot remember a humid day or night for maybe 8 plus years. Prior to 5 years we did have 3-4 days of 40 and high humidity. I have not turned on my house air con in the last 5 years, just a fan and very comfortable. And along the coast at my son's home, we had 1 day around 35 for about 4 hours, otherwise a very mild summer and cool nights, all summer the temp was below 30, mostly 25-27. I have not noticed the sea temp rising, it was fresh all summer and cooled down fairly quickly at end of summer compared to years before.