Rebuilding 2002 ETECH 460P ccrs ideas

My ETECH 460 needs a camshaft due to lobe on #1 lobe bad due to a broken lifter. 

My question is, when rebuilding this engine,  would it be beneficial to rebuild it an older E7 spec (camshaft,  pistons,  injectors and EUP) and reprogram to a 427 file and then upgrade turbos and put better flowing nozzles in?

I never was super excited by the power of this 460 and I'm not sure about using bigger nozzles with the CCRS 460P with wasgated turbo because of the boost range issues they have and go into derate. I was just thinking maybe go 427, bigger. Turbo and nozzles and still enjoy the updated version of the latest pre-emission E7 ETECH.  

Just wanted some opinions on this if anyone has any recommendations. 

Edited by BottleHauler84
  • Like 1

Im really weak when it comes to programming H.P.  however, mechanically, the cam key is offset, with the white end facing out, i have put steel lifters in place of the ceramic lifters. As far as turbo and nozzles,  i think turbo is the same, and nozzles are different.  

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Im really weak when it comes to programming H.P.  however, mechanically, the cam key is offset, with the white end facing out, i have put steel lifters in place of the ceramic lifters. As far as turbo and nozzles,  i think turbo is the same, and nozzles are different.  

I only have a 300HP and 460 HP VIN to compare, but the turbos are the same, nozzles different. GRANTED, the VINS I'm using are a 2000 and 2001 truck. The EUP's are identical as well. When it comes to lifters, what are the better ones to use, steel or ceramic? The latest and greatest supersession is ceramic tipped if that means anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

CCRS EUPs are a different part number.  CCRS means Current Controlled Rate Shaping. Instead of a binary On/Off injection, the injection is done in 2 phases, an initial modest phase that gets the burn started, then it goes into second phase where it goes all in. This is likely controlled by the EECU, but like Joey I'm weak on programming knowledge. Use whatever EUPs you're supposed to have. Heads and injector nozzles are different on ETECH/CCRS motors in believe.  ETECH has fuel return galleries drilled into the head, CCRS I don't think does. At least the AI/AC motors that are CCRS don't have them.

• Like 2

In my notes from 2010, one of the best running engines we drove was a CCRS 427 HP with 460 injectors.  But also Mack did a software change to a different data file that really made it come alive. Best I remember it was originally a 460 CCRS with the classic random derate due to the turbo issues. Detuned engine software  to 427 and installed a 427 turbo  while leaving the 460 HP injectors. Performance took a hit more than we thought it should, corporate sent us a different data file and bam we gained it all back and then some. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

460XT is the file you want.

Sadly it was only for the first generation of ETECH’s 1998.5 through 2001.5  then the CCRS started and they dropped the 460 XT. They did have the 460 performance and 460 economy for the CCRS but both were prone to the wastegate turbo derate issues. Had a buddy with a 1999 CL713 with the 460XT , I copied that engine data file and reflashed a lot of ECM’s to the 460 XT  many years ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Sadly it was only for the first generation of ETECH’s 1998.5 through 2001.5  then the CCRS started and they dropped the 460 XT. They did have the 460 performance and 460 economy for the CCRS but both were prone to the wastegate turbo derate issues. Had a buddy with a 1999 CL713 with the 460XT , I copied that engine data file and reflashed a lot of ECM’s to the 460 XT  many years ago. 

Yup cool Mackpro didn't think it was possible to copy the data file you are a true guru ! Soon as any of these hit 33 psi boost they would derate I hated these engines !

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 11:17 PM, Mackpro said:

How does a man take a CCRS 460p and go to a 427 and get rid of the derate issue? I'm thinking of going this direction,  but I don't know if I'm going in the right direction. 

I guess what I'm wanting to do is overhaul my 2002 ccrs 460, and new cam, bearings and lifters. I'd like to be able to install a bw 701 turbo and stage 2 injectors but not get the dreaded derate mode over 33psi of boost.

Anyone have a good recommendation on what route to go on this? I'm not looking to build a monster,  but I'd like to get to the actual 450-500 range of power with good torque.  I have an RTLO22918B transmission,  heavy driveline and Mack CRDP202/203 Rears, so I'm good on being able to harness the power with no issues I believe. 

Edited by BottleHauler84

I often thought of deeking the sensor by regulating it to seeing only 33 psi I never had the opportunity to do it however it was a thought! If the computer could only see 33 psi it would maybe let the engine have more fuel! It’s only a thought!  Something I always wanted to try! A simple adjustable regulator could be used would just have to adapt it!

• Like 2

Funny you say this FJH,,  I have thought to use a volume knob hooked to my coolant sensor for my '90 G-20 van, with TBI..  just to see if I could mess with how it warms up, and drives..  Just because..  I may do it this weekend..  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Funny you say this FJH,,  I have thought to use a volume knob hooked to my coolant sensor for my '90 G-20 van, with TBI..  just to see if I could mess with how it warms up, and drives..  Just because..  I may do it this weekend..  

we once accidentally put an mp8 boost sensor in an mp10 it turned that thing into an animal  it would pull its heart out! It was so scary we got the right sensor for it in case it blew it self up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mack won’t come out and say exactly what PSI of boost will derate it but they want the wastegate adjusted to open at 32 to 33 PSI. So  I would think the derate level is higher than 33 psi. There were some software updates for the 460 CCRS if you were operating in above 4,000 feet. 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, fjh said:

I often thought of deeking the sensor by regulating it to seeing only 33 psi I never had the opportunity to do it however it was a thought! If the computer could only see 33 psi it would maybe let the engine have more fuel! It’s only a thought!  Something I always wanted to try! A simple adjustable regulator could be used would just have to adapt it!

This actually might be worth trying. I like the way you think!!!

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

Mack won’t come out and say exactly what PSI of boost will derate it but they want the wastegate adjusted to open at 32 to 33 PSI. So  I would think the derate level is higher than 33 psi. There were some software updates for the 460 CCRS if you were operating in above 4,000 feet. 

It’s unfortunate ! As the emissions got tighter they chipped away at the horsepower ! Calling a 350 a 460 was just BS  we actually had a truck dynoed  an alleged 460  dynoed out at just over 350 and they wouldn’t do anything about it! Lost that customer! Just political crap !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fjh said:

It’s unfortunate ! As the emissions got tighter they chipped away at the horsepower ! Calling a 350 a 460 was just BS  we actually had a truck dynoed  an alleged 460  dynoed out at just over 350 and they wouldn’t do anything about it! Lost that customer! Just political crap !

They seemed to make a huge deal about it when they went from gross to net horsepower in the 70s. They apparently didn't want to mislead customers but I guess that all went out the window later.