Injection pump leaking at the top.

2 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

My injection pump has a leak at one of the barrels where it threads in. I recall someone saying you can remove the line, unthread the barrel and a oring is in there? Is it that simple?

This is on my 1977 285 maxidyne 

Is it Ambac?

Nope it’s metal on metal ! You could try putting a 11/4 wrench to it and try tightening abit! The top and bottom are two lapped peices! The oring is ment to seal out dirt!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fjh said:

Nope it’s metal on metal ! You could try putting a 11/4 wrench to it and try tightening abit! The top and bottom are two lapped peices!

Oh man.... and can you repair it in the truck or does the pump need to be pulled out?

I had a similar problem. I pulled the injector and used diamond paste and a mirror to lap the metal sealing surface. It took a while, but as soon as I got that pitting out, it stopped the leak. Very slow process!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ggrab004 said:

I had a similar problem. I pulled the injector and used diamond paste and a mirror to lap the metal sealing surface. It took a while, but as soon as I got that pitting out, it stopped the leak. Very slow process!

Worth a try I suppose! What did you use to turn the top section?You would have to be careful to clean out all contaminants!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Worth a try I suppose! What did you use to turn the top section?You would have to be careful to clean out all contaminants!

I'm not sure what you mean by top section, but I used a flare nut wrench to take the injector line off, then a socket with a breaker bar to remove the injector seat from the injector pump. I did clean the top of the pump several times while diagnosing exactly where the leak was coming from. 

• Like 1

by "top section" the reference would be to the 1 1/4 nut barrel hold-down. during that procedure requires , cleanliness higher then the standards used in open heart surgery. just the dirt inside the socket can fall in and contaminate things. once removed the barrel hold down has a 3/32nd (?) -less then 1/8=more then 1/16 square o-ring on top. works only as dirt seal.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

by "top section" the reference would be to the 1 1/4 nut barrel hold-down. during that procedure requires , cleanliness higher then the standards used in open heart surgery. just the dirt inside the socket can fall in and contaminate things. once removed the barrel hold down has a 3/32nd (?) -less then 1/8=more then 1/16 square o-ring on top. works only as dirt seal.

Yup extreme cleaning while doing anything around the pump!you can upset the apple cart real quick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1