ENDT 673 fuel filter bracket woes

The 2 bolts that mount the bracket evidently pass through the water jacket before threading into the block,and one leaks no matter how much Permatex I coat the bolt with.This seems like an odd arrangement for just bolting a bracket in place,and I`d think a common leaky spot.Any advicer or solutions? Thank You. 

can you post pics of the issue and such?  I have one in y shop, and my knowledge of the END(T) is weak..

I'm scratching my head, are you talking about Oil Filters?  You titled it Fuel Filters, but every ENDT engine I own has the fuel filters mounted on the truck frame, not the engine block. (I think. I've never taken much notice of our crane's motor)

I know what you speak of.  I used that mounting for my AC compressor.  I moved the filter to a bracket I made on the frame.

My guess you need to pull the water pump housing off the front of engine and install new gaskets. I guess it is seeping through to the bolt area.  No real way to fix it but tear into it.  Shouldn't be a bad job actually.

My 237 was missing all that stuff and had to reuse off my 673.  Bolts to front of block at water passage(where chain is attached in picture)and ties into oil cooler(or bypass hose like mine since the 673 didn't have a cooler).

IMG_20150104_163950_419.jpg

IMG_20151004_151334_169.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

13 hours ago, skydawg said:

So that would mean pulling the radiator? Too much for me.

You can't pull the pump with the radiator in? On my H model you can. Some trucks you can unbolt the fan shroud (if you have one) and lay it back on the front of the engine which makes it easier to pull the fan/pump.

You should be able to get pump out with radiator in.  I never had to try, but I know the fan is tight getting the bolts out of it.  They are just short enough to remove.

Larry

I`m not an accomplished mechanic like you guys.I`m out in the backyard standing on a Harbor Freight bench,leaning in w/ a 74 yo back.No way I`d get that out without punching a hole in the radiator.

Understood.   It really isn't a big repair but poking a hole in the radiator would make it quite expensive!  I don't think there is a better way to repair the leak.  Don't think silicone will seal the bolts.

So, like 6-7 yrs ago I was helping build a 41 Willy's for a gentleman.  The alternator was acting up and the paint guy decided to remove it.  He goofed and punched a hole in the custom radiator.  That was a $1000 oops.   He was pissed,  "I'm a paint guy, not a mechanic!!". He was friends of the owner of the car.  Had to reorder another radiator.

IMG_20170328_184735_031.jpg

• Like 2

Larry

Larry I would use cardboard or I had a thin sheet of masonite that I would set against the radiator core. I remember changing Cummins and Mack water pumps on the side of the interstate more than I care to remember.

• Like 1

Almost not enough room for protection AND get pump out of there.  I know the bolts literally just unscrew enough to get them to wiggle out of fan and out.  If they were 1/4" longer, you would have to pull radiator to get fan off.

If you pull fenders, you may be able to work easier in that area without having to lean over the fenders.

Larry

Is it possible to remove the fan and water pump as a unit,without removing the radiator,maybe loosening the shroud to get a little wiggle room for the fan blades?

I would get rid of the fan just for ease of movement.  It won't effect the height,but weight and all those blades to deal with?

Though the bolts won't be sticking out, so you will save 1/2" of space.

Larry