Striaght pipping a Ford F-450, with a 7.3L

Go to solution Solved by Full Floater,

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Do you still have the 88 IDI? We have a '91 IDI.  Fuel pump is a PoS.  You have to dump a cup of water on the back of the fuel pump to get it to start when hot.  We had a shop put a rebuilt pump on it less than 10,000 miles ago, and allegedly it's a thing that the housings wear out and you can't do anything about it.  Cold water shrinks the housing to help it start....

Sounds like a poor quality rebuild.  Yes the contraction of the housing is what makes it build pressure and start again, when cold water is poured on a heat soaked pump.  There are lots of Ebay "rebuilt" pumps out there that aren't much more than cleaned up and sent back out the door at a fraction of the price of a quality builder.  Theres a handful of good DB2 pump builders on this continent, and many that are not good.

The DB2's are not a lifetime pump like some inline pumps can sometimes be.   Generally they are worn out at 200,000miles.   But they are also much cheaper to properly overhaul then most inline pumps.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Do you still have the 88 IDI? We have a '91 IDI.  Fuel pump is a PoS.  You have to dump a cup of water on the back of the fuel pump to get it to start when hot.  We had a shop put a rebuilt pump on it less than 10,000 miles ago, and allegedly it's a thing that the housings wear out and you can't do anything about it.  Cold water shrinks the housing to help it start....

that is just a poor rebuilder. 

there are really only two people i would ever get an injector pump from anymore. Justin from R&D diesel, or Mel from moose pumps.

once upon a time Pensicola diesel was good, but their rep has gone below the sewer pipes the past 10 years or so. people on the ford truck site have reported their engines running worse after installing a Pensicola "rebuilt" pump than it did before they tool the old worn out one off. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 7/17/2024 at 10:29 PM, Full Floater said:

Sounds like a poor quality rebuild.  Yes the contraction of the housing is what makes it build pressure and start again, when cold water is poured on a heat soaked pump.  There are lots of Ebay "rebuilt" pumps out there that aren't much more than cleaned up and sent back out the door at a fraction of the price of a quality builder.  Theres a handful of good DB2 pump builders on this continent, and many that are not good.

The DB2's are not a lifetime pump like some inline pumps can sometimes be.   Generally they are worn out at 200,000miles.   But they are also much cheaper to properly overhaul then most inline pumps.

I have a a friend I have known for years in the pump business here ! He is the only guy I trust when it comes to any fuel pump! He built my 6.9 pump hes done many bosch pumps for us at the Mack shop here He is a little more price wise but you know what your getting ! He doesn't cut corners ! Worth paying a few bucks more for a pump sometimes! Pays to do some research!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Full Floater said:

Air intrusion, and lack of consistent lift pump/supply pressure and lack of fuel lubricity is also a problem on the idi's that can prematurely wear out the injection pumps

IDI injector pumps and injectors are only good for around 175k miles at best, more realistic they should be changed between 125-150kmiles.

and putting new injectors in with a worn pump will speed up pump deterioration. 

i am looking at having to replace the pump and injectors again in my 88 soon.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Another thing to keep an eye on these trucks is the ZF 6 speed manual on some of the later 7.3 powerstrokes, they have a transmission cooler like an automatic. I know a guy who blew up his transmission in his work pickup due to the transmission cooler leaking. 

Edited by BOBWhite
  • Like 1