MACK CHASSIS PLATE DECODE

dek1581

I'm checking out a 1982 Mack CF fire engine for sale. Trying to confirm the engine that it has in it. It has CF686F12 stamped on it. I have seen models with 612 which meant it had the 300+. This is not the same obviously. FYI: the engine has light blue paint and the charge air cooler has water lines coming in/out of the side. 

21 hours ago, dek1581 said:

I'm checking out a 1982 Mack CF fire engine for sale. Trying to confirm the engine that it has in it. It has CF686F12 stamped on it. I have seen models with 612 which meant it had the 300+. This is not the same obviously. FYI: the engine has light blue paint and the charge air cooler has water lines coming in/out of the side. 

CF612 ETAZ673A-315/320HP Thermodyne 300 Plus

CF686 ENDT676-285 HP EM6285 Maxidyne 300 EM6300

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

A CF686 denotes a 285 maxidyne.  my truck is a RS786 with the same engine.

A 300+ would be a CF612

Also a 285 hp usually had a 5 or 6 speed transmission as it was a high torque rise. where the 300+ needed minimum of 8 gears due to its shorter powerband

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Now, did Mack produce a 300 HP version of the 2-Valve Maxidyne or was the HP increased when the Maxidyne was changed to 4-Valves?