Brakes howling and wheel lug nuts

Not really sure if this is in the right forum and it isnt necessarily just a Mack trk question.  Lately occasionally my brakes will howl when I slow to a stop.  I call it more of a howl than a squeak.  The brakes were replace about 5,000 miles ago.  No noises until just recently.  Somebody told me this can be cause by dirt in the drums.  Just curious and wondering what the cause is.

My other question is about lug nut torque.  I can find alot of info dealing with the newer trucks.  But what about the older inner and outer steel wheel torques.  Found a couple of broke studs which I am assuming was caused from being lazy and using a 1 inch rattle gun to tighten rather than a torque wrench. Going to replace all studs on the rear axle

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2024 at 3:11 PM, RS Disposal said:

Not really sure if this is in the right forum and it isnt necessarily just a Mack trk question.  Lately occasionally my brakes will howl when I slow to a stop.  I call it more of a howl than a squeak.  The brakes were replace about 5,000 miles ago.  No noises until just recently.  Somebody told me this can be cause by dirt in the drums.  Just curious and wondering what the cause is.

My other question is about lug nut torque.  I can find alot of info dealing with the newer trucks.  But what about the older inner and outer steel wheel torques.  Found a couple of broke studs which I am assuming was caused from being lazy and using a 1 inch rattle gun to tighten rather than a torque wrench. Going to replace all studs on the rear axle

number of questions:: 1-were drums also replaced or just shoes? 2- since "howl " started has there been a noticeable difference in stopping ?? 3- seem like all wheels or just one-two noise makers? new shoes, old drums possibly glazing is taken place . performance difference not noticed when new shoes /drums were installed - dust possible to be culprit. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 7:26 PM, Geoff Weeks said:

450 to 500 ft lbs on inner and outer stud pilot nuts.

Brake noise is often dirt/ dust.

thanks, that was what I was thinking might be.  This is a garbage truck and the dump is a very dusty place in the summer

As far as the torque that is what I was thinking also being everything I found was saying the same.  But everything I found was not saying anything about the older inner and outer lug nut  style bud wheels

Edited by RS Disposal

On 7/24/2024 at 6:58 AM, fjh said:

try greasing the cams and see if the situation changes ! dust is quite likely

the cams get grease at approximately once a month when I do a pm on the truck

On 7/24/2024 at 3:54 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

I wonder if a lining has come loose on a shoe, is in the rivits have loosened 

Paul

That I would hope not being these brakes are only accessible by removing the drive hub along with the drum.  I will try looing thru the inspection hole on the backing plate to see if I can see anything

2 hours ago, RS Disposal said:

thanks, that was what I was thinking might be.  This is a garbage truck and the dump is a very dusty place in the summer

As far as the torque that is what I was thinking also being everything I found was saying the same.  But everything I found was not saying anything about the older inner and outer lug nut  style bud wheels

Budd is slang for stud pilot, that may be confusing you.

• Like 1