Struttin' Her Stuff!!!

I have been seeing a lot of Freightliners like that hauling milo out of the bins lately. None look as clean as that one! Most of them will probably never get a wash in their life and be a permanent grain dust brown. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Don’t see a whole lot of them left here  too old now … but I spent a lotta time in that model and yes I did like them… bob

She's a 1999 Freightliner FLD 120 and she just turned 680,000 miles Yesterday.

Since I am usually the combine operator I often catch a ride back to town in these. The guy I work for sometimes borrows one from the local grain company when his own trucks can't keep up. The newer mid 2000s Freightliners are built a lot worse interior wise, they rattle and squeak so bad you can't hear the radio. They also always have pizza boxes covering the floor like pictured above lol. 

Does this one have the Detroit 60? One of the later ones I've been in had that weird Mercedes engine.

Its funny. Back in the day an FLD120 was fleet truck. Usually some low spec Series 60 Detroit and a 9 speed. You wouldn't even notice it if one drove by you. Now if you see one on the road you dam near snap your neck trying to get a look at it. LOL

• Like 2

I'll see quite a few of these hauling to and from the feed mill in a nearby town. If you eat at the Cookout in town, you can see some neat old trucks coming by. Other than that specific place I've been, not too many are seen around here. If I'm not wrong, these Freightshakers had the option for Cummins, Cat, and Detroit from the factory, like the Paccar trucks. 

Back in the Day You'd find alot of the Sleeper cab FLDs with Detroits and 10spds When I was growing up....Some owner ops had Cummins with 13spds or 18spds....The options options options hahahaha The goooooood ol' days 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Its funny. Back in the day an FLD120 was fleet truck. Usually some low spec Series 60 Detroit and a 9 speed. You wouldn't even notice it if one drove by you. Now if you see one on the road you dam near snap your neck trying to get a look at it. LOL

Drove two of them two different companies they both had the C60… bob

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:29 AM, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

17218240840686442761066752640938.thumb.jpg.0a9197eea052293ac179c53fc6c481f3.jpg17218240980064050995144450243877.thumb.jpg.9a03451e9e62c4c878e262b8da241895.jpg17218241086133601436439576760791.thumb.jpg.d61cbf29d20474915b59a4d66fb0e9ec.jpg

Cleans up pretty good for its age. Also plastic in pretty good shape or at least that’s what it looks like.bob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mowerman said:

Cleans up pretty good for its age. Also plastic in pretty good shape or at least that’s what it looks like.bob

It's funny Because the "Wood grain" Pieces are actually Metal hahaha. The black dash is plastic resin back when they built dashes to last....

• Like 1

I was gooing to say that they are metal, but laid back..  anyway,  The FLD was just a cookie cutter truck, but as was stated, these OLD trucks are becoming head turners.. They aint beatiful like a 379 or W900,  but to me, they are a better truck than any of what is less than 15 years old..  I would drive an FLD any day, I prefer Series 60 12.7 with 10+ tranny.  I just like em'..  

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 3:06 PM, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

This one has the N14 Cummins Celect. 10spd Eaton Fuller. Sounds good pulls good and now looks good!!!

Sticker on the dash says it has a Rockwell trans?  Not is common or trouble free as an RR (Eaton).

Gw, good eyes, My 1 and only big truck was a Century class condo, basic truck, 12.7, meritor 10 spd, ( I didnt like it as much as an eaton).. 2.92 rears..  it would pull good,,, but ,,,, well, you know. Not a power house.. no point to my spittle here...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I was gooing to say that they are metal, but laid back..  anyway,  The FLD was just a cookie cutter truck, but as was stated, these OLD trucks are becoming head turners.. They aint beatiful like a 379 or W900,  but to me, they are a better truck than any of what is less than 15 years old..  I would drive an FLD any day, I prefer Series 60 12.7 with 10+ tranny.  I just like em'..  

It was the truck that really saved Freightliner, IHC and Freightliner cabovers were the pride of many fleets, or at least the main-stay.  When the length laws went bye-bye, was right around when the FLD came out and they were well placed to take IHC's customers with it.

Saw a lot of fleets go from IHC and Freightliner cab over to FLD's. 

• Like 1

For the short time I drove for Schnieder, (15 months) all i drove was INT. cab overs... No way I could drive the last one they gave me today..  it had a doghouse and a coffen sleeper... I can not bend today as I did back then..  LOL getting dressed was better done outside next to the truck, than in the bunk..

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

Sticker on the dash says it has a Rockwell trans?  Not is common or trouble free as an RR (Eaton).

Yeah The Rockwell went out acouple years back so they put an Eaton Fuller in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

It was the truck that really saved Freightliner, IHC and Freightliner cabovers were the pride of many fleets, or at least the main-stay.  When the length laws went bye-bye, was right around when the FLD came out and they were well placed to take IHC's customers with it.

Saw a lot of fleets go from IHC and Freightliner cab over to FLD's. 

I totally agree Sir. I remember Smith Transport had a Bunch So Did Covenant

Just now, Joey Mack said:

Glad you got my humor Duck..   Rubber side down Brother...

Oh yes I believe We Would've been Cheech and Chong or Ackroyd and Balushi out on the Road together my Friend....Pardon the miss spelling of the last two names I can't remember the correct spelling 😅 🙃

• Like 1