Mack T2060A trans and PTO configuration

Ok, so my trans went out, it was a mack T2060A with a PTO adapter & PTO fully functioning, no issues with PTO.  When trans went out i looked for an exact replacement so i could throw it in and get back to work as fast as possible.  so the new trans came in, everything went back together great, untill the very last thing to do was install the PTO.  when installing the PTO, the adapter plate would not bolt back on due to an extra gear in the transmission creating a conflict. (I'll attach pictures).  so we ordered a pto from muncie, no luck,  had to send it back.  the original pto head that used to bolt to the adapter, will bolt to the transmission, and it does work, but it makes a horrible sound, as if the pitch on the teeth are probably wrong.  its bad enough that we cannot run it like that at all.  the shop with my truck has basically told me theres nothing he can do, and recommends paying 5 or 6 thousand dollars to rebuild the old trans and then pay to pull the new trans all the way out and reinstall the old trans.  at this point its not in my budget.  this is my only truck and i need the PTO as i haull end dumps with it.

this BS is gonna put me out of business, if anyone knows of a solution im all ears.

Original T2060A that went bad.JPG

New T2060A- adapter will not work due to extra gear in transmission.png

Original Adapter.jpg

original adapter that will not work in new trans due to extra gear in trans conflicts.jpg

pump head-17 spline i believe 4 bolt.jpg

Original PTO-bolts straight up to new trans(without adapter), but makes terrible noise-wrong gear maybe_.jpg

Are you sure the replacement transmission you got is a 2060A? There seems to be a difference between the T2060 and the T2060A. Just quickly looking at Muncy's catalog no PTOs available for the T2060A are compatible with a T2060 or at least none of the part numbers are the same between the two options. I would somehow verify the exact model transmission your replacement is. There is a PTO that will fit it.....

Do you have access to the truck the replacement came out of? Or can you get the VIN of the donor truck from the seller?

Edited by 67RModel

Sounds like the transmissions are different, as shown by "due to an extra gear in the transmission." These kinds of things tend to happen when critical jobs are rushed. Most of my PTO experience has been with Allison transmissions or REPTO styles, but you have to be very careful and precise when making sure the transmission and PTO are 100% identical. We had one truck come in with a "non-operable PTO" complaint, which was 100% accurate. However, the PTO installed on the truck was geared clockwise, when the intended setup was counter-clockwise. Someone who the customer wouldn't say had ordered the incorrect PTO to start with. 

Just some friendly advice: remember that rushing blindly into things with the intention to make the process faster most often leads to making the process take longer. I've learned that in the few years I've been in this business, and would recommend everyone follow the same belief. Slow and steady wins the race! 

It looks to me like the "extra' gear is a PTO gear for the 6 bolt mount on the side.  This is interfering with the 8 bolt mount. can't tell if the gear pitch matches from just a photo.

Mis match of parts, either start again or get a PTO for the exact trans you are putting in. 

PTO's are very limited in what they fit, they all look alike but there are 1000's of combinations of parts, that all have to be matched for it to work. 

It is a presise operation to mount PTO

with the correct thickness of gaskets you need to get a bit  of backlash play when tightend up

1st you mount the PTO adapter then mount the PTO to adapter feeeling for a bit of backlash

when fiddling with the gears or you gunna get a bit of noise when in use

one PTO we mounted had to have one of the gears in the adapter ground away to make it fit

I can't remember if it was a Mack box or RR

cya

Mech, what I saw, is what I call a 'reverser'.  I only used those when I put 2 PTO's on a transmission, and had to turn a rotary lobe blower correctly.  Now, my knowledge of a 2060 is pretty much 'Zero'.  but if it is a single tranny box with all six gears in it, then I coud see where the PTO drive gear is not in the same position..  I coud have gone to my library and got the book, but I didnt want to look smart, when i'm not..  I would like to see what is stamped in the main case for a tranny model.  I believe the 2060G has a rear box, for lolo-lo shifting which I think I have done in 1st and reverse, only moving the stick to nuetral to make a range shift then back in the hole it goes.  with this dribble said by me, I think the PTO gear is in a differnt spot on the counter shafts of the 2060 models....... 

X-107 twin sticks are way better anyway..  He could put a 2070 in there and get the drive shaft fitted, and be done with the issue,,  

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Why? it didn't line up with anything in the transmission.  i believe they sent us the wrong part hoping it would work.  but now they are saying they don't make one for this trans.  chelsea is saying the same thing.

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

mounting the P T O without an adapter will put PTO in opposite rotation ; don't know if that makes a difference.

yes it does, i had to order a brand new pump due to the direction being reversed, which i have there and ready.  just need a PTO that wll work.  

7 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Are you sure the replacement transmission you got is a 2060A? There seems to be a difference between the T2060 and the T2060A. Just quickly looking at Muncy's catalog no PTOs available for the T2060A are compatible with a T2060 or at least none of the part numbers are the same between the two options. I would somehow verify the exact model transmission your replacement is. There is a PTO that will fit it.....

Do you have access to the truck the replacement came out of? Or can you get the VIN of the donor truck from the seller?

i'll see if i can get that info.  i ordered from vanderhag.  so maybe?

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Mech, what I saw, is what I call a 'reverser'.  I only used those when I put 2 PTO's on a transmission, and had to turn a rotary lobe blower correctly.  Now, my knowledge of a 2060 is pretty much 'Zero'.  but if it is a single tranny box with all six gears in it, then I coud see where the PTO drive gear is not in the same position..  I coud have gone to my library and got the book, but I didnt want to look smart, when i'm not..  I would like to see what is stamped in the main case for a tranny model.  I believe the 2060G has a rear box, for lolo-lo shifting which I think I have done in 1st and reverse, only moving the stick to nuetral to make a range shift then back in the hole it goes.  with this dribble said by me, I think the PTO gear is in a differnt spot on the counter shafts of the 2060 models....... 

X-107 twin sticks are way better anyway..  He could put a 2070 in there and get the drive shaft fitted, and be done with the issue,,  

the adapter/reverser has a number of functions depending on application.  one pictured is angled indicating possibly a clearance situation . a single gear spacer/reverser is just that used to reverse rotation  of shaft/pump etc. did a PTO install on a RR due to transmission pto gear in to far a single gear spacer was needed. in the process the pto changed direction. fortunately the fix was easier. being the pto was going to run a roper pump for fuel oil; disassembly of the roper and flipping top to bottom did it. 

question is;; when the pto was connected directly to transmission . was the hyd pump also installed?? not hearing the winning sound ; could the noise have been the hyd pump trying to run backwards or was noise definitely gear mesh??  gear mesh then was the gap between two gears correct ? could more shims correct it ???  not being familiar with these new age numbers; is this transmission capable of a rear mount PTO??

• Like 1

The 200 series does not have the splines in the end of the lower countershaft , like the 100 series do, so side mount PTO is his choice here,  if his 6 spd. doesnt have an aux. box, then i think the drive gear location is in a different spot.  I have built many Mack tranny's, but not 2060's.. sure wish i had a, for sure answer..

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed
  • Like 1