Pictures of the Week

other dog

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

we need pictures of the finished product!!!

For some reason I can not post pictures from my phone any more. I have to send them to myself, then get on the computer and post them. I don't know why, I used to be able to.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

same here Tom.. I e-mail them to ME then make a lnk, then post the link, and sometimes the picture does show up, then....   well, you get it....

• Like 2

I don’t know where you came up with that color on, but yes, it definitely looks a lot better and no, I cannot post pictures on my phone have to email them to the computer then split the screen and slide them over… bob

Anybody know anything about air conditioners? I'm not even going to try to put an AC compressor on the engine, but maybe a battery powered unit, an RV unit, some kind of portable AC that would work- anybody rigged up something like that before?

53 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Do you really want to cut a hole in that cab?

No, absolutely not, I was wondering about the air conditioners that are self contained, you have to put ice in them. Their ads say it lasts for 6 1/2 hrs. I always read the reviews on pretty much everything I buy, but these- some people say they're great, other people say they're a waste of money. But I would like to find something that cools, in case the dogs want to ride. 😁 

• Like 2

What kind of heater does it have? I have always thought that on a antique, you could add an electric coolant pump, isolate the coolant through the heater core, and use a tube and shell heat exchanger as an evaporator. 

Essentially making a water "chiller" then circulate the cold coolant through the heater core.  I not sure how well it would work on an old leaky truck with an old heater that could barely keep it warm in the winter, but it wouldn't require any holes in the cab.

As far as Ice or a swamp cooler, I don't think either would be good enough. 

Another option would be a Red Dot bunk unit or an IHC under the seat unit, both would require some holes in the floor, but none in the dash or firewall.

I think this is the way I'd go. I have a Mack sleeper with a Red Dot unit in it, they are very compact. 

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 2

Sure, you can put an refrigerant compressor on anything with V belts.

The condenser may take more work to fit, there are frame mounted condensers, of course roof mounts, which would be period correct. 

No :bolt on kits, but it is all possible.

I built my own APU before they were widely produced, there are plenty of options in terms of parts to build a system, but buying a pre packaged parts, Red Dot makes many bunk units. IHC used under the passenger seat heater/AC unit that is very compact and is in the 1.5 ton cooling range and gobs of heat.  Early (70's) 4300's had all the controls on the seat base, making it a complete unit that could be bolted to the floor pan, and would need 4 holes for coolant and refrigerant. The big question is if there is enough "head room" to put a passenger seat on top of the unit.  Most newer cabs that take a full size air seat can, but trucks that used T bar or fixed seats, (lower profile) may not have the head room.

Used parts, can be cheaper way to go.

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 2

I found a plug in Small unit that you pour water on the filter to Cool it down....Plugged it into my inverter that plugged into the cigarette lighter....It kept my Lincoln town car pretty cool for what we used it for....Just a thought....

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 2:36 AM, other dog said:

Meanwhile, back at the ol' computer-

This is as it sits right now, I took these pictures just a few minutes ago. It's still a work in progress, maybe just some more polishing and i'll be satisfied. I ordered more of the ceramic polish, definitely need to do the hood and the top of the cab. Might get some lettering and pinstriping done too, I don't know.

BGTT4524.jpg.49813b85a1ec6a67111beb0f36f14cbd.jpg

BGTT44.jpg.c72401d3fac9849aa9f9f69d801ee7ff.jpg

I like the way she looks! (and the same comment to the 1st lot of pictures:))

It would be cool to add a few small items to the cab or even rear portion of the chassis painted that same light color as fenders are. New door lettering of that color or multiple colors with that green as the main one would suite the scene perfectly too on my mind.

Ok, wheel hubs?...

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I believe you meant to say steel packs lol and Tom that’s a fabulous idea. I had not thought of 12 V system. I’m sure you can find something for underdash. That would work fabulous. Good luck.. bob