Pictures of the Week

other dog

wasn't for the buffalo winter been there/ seen that: changed a KW steering box on side of highway during ice storm, bet you could have crawled under , stuffed a rag in the hole to prevent oil loss (reason it seized up ?) and drove more. LOL..  also in '71 must have been 30 w oil not 0-20w crap of today.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GA_Dave said:

The hole in the oil pan was so big you could almost fit your hand into it.  All the oil was gone in seconds.  I miss 10w30.

I once did a transmission swap up there during the winter.  I wasn't on the side of the road, but it wasn't in a garage either.  It took me two days due to frequent trips inside to thaw out.  I moved south not long after!

Not to be changing the subject, but that's one of my issues with the big green truck that doesn't run. (It runs great now, but that name kinda stuck) I do all the work on it outside, in the driveway, with common hand tools, and for the most part by myself. Not so much "fun" in it anymore 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

59 minutes ago, GA_Dave said:

The hole in the oil pan was so big you could almost fit your hand into it.  All the oil was gone in seconds.  I miss 10w30.

I once did a transmission swap up there during the winter.  I wasn't on the side of the road, but it wasn't in a garage either.  It took me two days due to frequent trips inside to thaw out.  I moved south not long after!

i pulled a transmission automatic out of a 55 chevy wagon outside was around 18 degrees i was only around 20 years old,,,,i also moved to LA shortly  after,lol  i also drove that oil burning  307 all the way out there,,,,busted a rocker arm somewhere in Arizona got another one in a wrecking yard,,,,made it all the way out there and back to massachusetts without anymore issues except going thru a case of oil,,,,not sure what was up with those things,,,but everybody seems to agree,they didnt hold up well...bob

• Like 2

Yes, I agree. I used to work in a gulf full service station and one of our customers had that exact set up 68 Camaro but it was a 250 automatic I don’t even know how I remember that thing I even remember what  the girl look like that owned it I think mainly it sounded real good when you revved it up … I think it had a slight leak in the donut gasket front pipe to manifold  and yes, that was 50 years ago ha ha ha but bottom  line Tom I think yes You couldn’t kill them I also had one and a 57 Chevy. It was actually my ex-wife car wound up pulling it out of there and putting it in my 51 Chevy pick up. Sorry I’m going on with old people stories.. Bob

Back many many years many many moons ago, the station owner I was working  at called me on satuday afternoon. a guy pulled in with "an old chevy" that was not running rite and wanted to sell it. Monday morning I went in to find a 66 Chevelle super sport, with  250 six cylinder and 4 speed.

I could not get the $50 asking price out of my pocket fast enough!.

headers, cam, Mallory dual points distributor, 4 barrel intake and carb later, I had a 12 second race car.

That car made me a whole lot of money racing before I finally sold it for $2,000

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I would love to have a square body C-10 with a 250 straight six and 3 on the tree.. that was my first of about 8 square bodies.. I still drive my home made C-30  redneck truck..  

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

I would love to have a square body C-10 with a 250 straight six and 3 on the tree.. that was my first of about 8 square bodies.. I still drive my home made C-30  redneck truck..  

My father bought exactly that in 1973, only had a few options, Posi, full foam seat, PS PB. $2700 cash IIRC.

It was handed down through my brother and I, but it was a rust-bucket. You could, however do a full tune-up in a thunder storm and not get wet, there was so much room under the hood.

It was ok, but of the big 3, I'd say Ford (300/240) and Dodge (225) were better engines.  

I would have opted for the 292.

I pulled a U haul trailer from Ma to Chicago, over rt 2 in Mass, climbing the hills in 2nd at redline.

the 225 Mopar was great,      the Ford 300 ,,  well yes, the best of the group..  I have to bow down to that engine,, 

I'm always a Bowtie guy forever..  my 78 didnt have power steering,  just power brakes.. 

It would float the valves at 98 MPH..  

I owned a 1969 Pontiac tempest that had a 250 gm six cylinder and a three speed that was on the column. Had a 3/4-ton chevy pickup with a 292 six and I shoehorned a rather warmed up 292 six into a 1965 Toyota Landcruiser pickup with a later 4 speed trans. I owned a 1953 ford 1 ton dump with the six-cylinder 216 overhead valve engine. I had an old jeep with that overhead cam six-cylinder engine that they used in the Pontiacs. My stepdad had a ford pickup with that 300 six it was a very nice engine.

The Dodge had individual ports/runner on both intake and exhaust, and was under square, with (IIRC) a 4 1/8" stroke and 3.4" bore, which made it a real pulling engine

Ford was 4" bore, (on the 300) but don't remember the stroke, Pulled a few English double deck buses back to the barn with one. 

Both the Dodge and Ford were made in medium truck versions with heavier duty guts.

Chevy 292 came in the C-40 and C-50 IIRC  

If you held my feet to the fire, I'd be hard pressed to say any of the American OHV 6's were bad engines.  Well, may be the babbet rod Chevy Stovebolt, was too far behind the times. About the time it came out, IHC was building wet liner OHV 6's, just for comparison