First drive in the Cruiseliner.

cruiseliner64

I would think the shift tower should be pretty standard parts that can be replaced pretty easily 

Saying that I have never worked on one 

But Im guessing holes need rebushing and rod ends need replacing 

Paul

• Like 1

A guy on here rebuilt the shift tower on an Mh awhile back, not sure if there would be any similarities. Do Cruiseliners have a shift tower like an Mh or do they have the older style that goes in between the seat to the floor? 

• Like 1

Yeah the gear lever goes through the floor between the seat and doghouse.i know maxitoqure gearbox takes a bit of getting used to but this shifter is very sloppy.it was the only thing that kinda spoiled the drive a little otherwise it was fantastic to be driving a cruiseliner at last

Paul

For what I remember shift like a dream very easy to move very tight, but It was only a couple of years old when I had it… good luck I was going to say just good lubrication with all the moving parts but if it’s sloppy, you definitely need something else… bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips lads.the shift on our Cruiseliner is sloppy as in i cant get 1st gear at all 2nd can only be got when stopped 3rd and 4th are no problem and 5th can be got sometimes.the range changer goes smooth enough..filled shift tower with oil but it ran out passed the rods pretty quick.think i need to rebuild it....

Paul

as far as oiling the shift tower,,,,  It is splash lubed by the spinning gear sets..  are the ujoints in the shifter shaft sloppy?  a little slop goes a long way..  my guess is there is 2 close to the tower on the tranny? 

• Like 1

my bet is on worn shirt linkage u-joints as above mentioned. 1 &2 are over towards seat  ; worn u-joints would have the lever hitting seat preventing shift fork from proper alignment in transmission tower. 3 & 4 are easier since shift lever is in middle . cab up AND SECURED hold shift linkage going to transmission while moving shift lever. should be able to check for worn u-joints /bushings.. check shift lever side ways movement with cab down then do same check with cab up . wager side movement up cab is greater .

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Mech?  is it the same as an MH?  I remember doing shift tower bushing replacements and u-joints..  I think I still know how to do it today..  been a while..

• Like 1

have seen some with so much slop in linkage ; after centering the lever going to flip hyd down lever, shift  lever moved and away goes the range selector button on the shift knob. oooops

• Like 1

Hi all,the shift tower that is leaking oil is under the cab floor.see picture.inside it the two rods have gears which move with the shift lever.the oil is leaking from the ends of the rods.i filled it with gear oil but it was empty in a few days.i wonder if the gears in it are worn but dont know what the amount of play should be.the link from it to the tranny has only 1 UJ which doesnt seem to have any play in it.many thanks for your help lads this is a great site.

Paul20240820_094320.thumb.jpg.7ba04689ae291c42fa02ed159e5bc925.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The shift towers has to be rebuilt ever 2 years or so. It was a very poor design.

I can't remember all the part numbers but typically you replace the outer boots, bushings (80AX747?), seals (88AX349P3?), shafts and gears (because the teeth wear down).

These was a Mack service bulletin on the rebuilding procedure stemming from customer complaints about a sloppy shifter and oil leakage.

The side cover is reinstalled using silicone sealant.

Thanks for that information.do you happen to know if  the parts can still be got? If they can where would be a good place to try? We have serched the net but found nothing yet.thanks

Paul

The guy that rebuilt his Mh's shifter had to cross reference a lot of the parts, specifically the U-joints. 

"The U joint on the shift linkage is a Rockwell L6N or MOOG 861 if anyone ever need to look"

Probably a different setup on a cruiseliner but it could be the same U-Joint. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

I'm relaying  those instructions based on the F or  G models, CruiseLiner cab /tower should be simaliar. ?

nope figured wrong (again). not same . wondered about the mentioning of gear box. worn marks on shift rails definitely indicates source of oil leakage. F model shift lever stayed on the tower also . was a simpler design. brain cells now attempting to remember which cab over had the shift lever attached to cab which connected lever to linkage when cab lowered by a ball and socket arrangement ??? think it was the small MB??

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruiseliner64 said:

Thanks for that information.do you happen to know if  the parts can still be got? If they can where would be a good place to try? We have serched the net but found nothing yet.thanks

Paul

I seriously doubt it. i was looking for a 2007 Granite part today that Volvo has already discontinued.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

nope figured wrong (again). not same . wondered about the mentioning of gear box. worn marks on shift rails definitely indicates source of oil leakage. F model shift lever stayed on the tower also . was a simpler design. brain cells now attempting to remember which cab over had the shift lever attached to cab which connected lever to linkage when cab lowered by a ball and socket arrangement ??? think it was the small MB??

F-model shift towers rarely needed to be rebuilt. The u-joint atop the transmission, once in a while.

• Like 1
  • Like 1