First drive in the Cruiseliner.

cruiseliner64

7 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

nope figured wrong (again). not same . wondered about the mentioning of gear box. worn marks on shift rails definitely indicates source of oil leakage. F model shift lever stayed on the tower also . was a simpler design. brain cells now attempting to remember which cab over had the shift lever attached to cab which connected lever to linkage when cab lowered by a ball and socket arrangement ??? think it was the small MB??

It is the Cruiseliner.when cab is tilted the gearlever lifts with the cab and the ball stays on the shift tower.when lowering the cab you have to check the ball lines up to the socket in the bottom of the gearlever.....we have found the brass bushs that the rods pass through on line.....but the rest may havevto be made up.

Paul

• Thanks 1

The shift linkages of MH and Criseliner have about nothing in common. Excepting both have the lever separated from the tower when the cab is up and both use a U-joint.

The matter of difficulties with shifting may be due to worn out linkage (you aren't able to find the spot where you shift into a certain gear) or due to worn out sliding clutches/mating teeth in the tranny gear wheels. This second way you have grinding in the gear change moments. Shifing Mack trannies require special skill which could be obtained by practice. I tell this as a guy who has never had experience driving American truck or another non-synchro transmission before appeared by the wheel of my 1st Mack truck. Now I understand that transmission had hard wear on the noted above parts but anyway could be shifted smooth if you know particular moments to get into a particular gear.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 8/21/2024 at 5:05 AM, cruiseliner64 said:

It is the Cruiseliner.when cab is tilted the gearlever lifts with the cab and the ball stays on the shift tower.when lowering the cab you have to check the ball lines up to the socket in the bottom of the gearlever.....we have found the brass bushs that the rods pass through on line.....but the rest may havevto be made up.

Paul

The applicable seals and bushings were used in many other Mack applications, hence they are still available.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2024 at 5:03 PM, BOBWhite said:

A guy on here rebuilt the shift tower on an Mh awhile back, not sure if there would be any similarities. Do Cruiseliners have a shift tower like an Mh or do they have the older style that goes in between the seat to the floor? 

Completley different set up in a Cruiseliner

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

As mentioned earlier   by others, check the U joints, thats the simpliest task.  Then go into the box on shift tower. Chances are its worn in there. They get worn and then sloppy.  I did tach weld the gear to the shaft as the the keyway would not stay tight. That is a last resort though.  I've owned and run F models, Cruiseliners and MH's, they all had there good and bad points. I think the Cruiseliner shift linkage, when in good order, has the best feel to it when shifting. Just my opinion

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!