first R -model made - youtube video

have been sent a text  from a friend making me aware of a short 5 minute video on youtube of good ole #1 Mack  ::R607T=1001. as stated in the past my knowledge of posting pictures on here is limited. I did find the video simply going to Youtube video first R model Mack produced. I believe this is from this year at the show before Macungie. few facts are off by the narrator. felt good looking at the open hood and  knowing I once rebuilt that engine, has since been done again years later by John (Rocky) Rockwell. the replacement to #1 was a  "69 R611T -ENDT673 with jake and 13 speed RR. notice the B model shell supporting the radiator. basically a B-model with R cab.truck originally had a white top half with lower gold color cab. hood original/ doors have been replaced. does have an electrical issue ; reason for cover on floor between seats

• Like 2

B C  R's weren't "invented "yet. that unit was only suppose to be a demonstrator, not for sale truck.  the R's were still in the trial stage . while at Mack waterbury. I assisted on two B C R conversions early '70's. with the R's gaining popularity and the days when things were repaired not junked and new bought many B models starting to rust out from age and new England salt.  you didn't scrap a good drivetrain/chassis ; just updated. someone at Mack had some smarts to think of the BCR.  instead of manufacture/stock B cabs ; make use of this new style cab called an R.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

someone at Mack had some smarts to think of the BCR

Yesterday at the Bay State - Lancaster Ma. truck show. l spoke to a gentleman who had ordered back then a "BCR kit". He had his own R model cab and did the conversion himself.    .....Hippy

• Like 1
  • Like 1

as spoken on here numerous times : back then things were simpler with way more common sense .  cab conversions didn't require computers and miles of electrical wiring.  that hood is very heavy to  tilt, radiator being smaller then opening has the two side extension panels. that front Mack emblem should have an armed guard; LOL don't know   if another exists. always wondered if serial # 1002 still around ? many yrs back a truck newspaper had an ad for the first U model  U607T 1001 for sale .must be scrap by now.

• Like 1

From what I could see in the video the truck has R-model frame rails with typical R-model front spring hangers and cab mounts. But the radiator core is tiny indeed.

Neat looking old R-model and definitely a great piece of trucking history!

Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

B C R  short term stands for  (B)model (C)onverted  to (R)model.  with changing times then as earlier written ; many contractors /truck owners had older B models which cab wise were showing some age yet the lower end:: rails drive line had many miles left.  much like farmers of the day , equipment was repaired ;not replaced. Mack ingeniously came up with the conversion idea.  also I'm sure it had to do with promoting the R model . the two I became involved in building were B model dumps which mysteriously caught fire in a garage and only to the cab section.  alum fuel pedals were a blob of melted alum on the transmission. remember the cabs being unpainted outside but fully groomed inside. memory loss on the cab/hood mounting change over. was a couple of years ago== 1972.1974 ?????

• Like 1

How many years was the BCR program available? Was it through the dealer or did they send them back up to the factory to be reconfigured? I've seen pictures of R's with the BCR emblem on the side but had no idea what It meant until now. 

B C R's were done at dealerships.  while at Waterbury Mack '69-'75 . I worked on 2 b's converted to R's. can't say longevity of the program sorry. went back to pictures I posted way back on my profile; one is of ole #1 in the garage hooked to a reads screening plant.  thought I might have put picture of the engine/transmission on back of my '77 ford -nope.

• Like 1

BCR’s also stand out because they typically lacked the R model battery boxes behind the front fenders and often retained the B fuel tanks.  

My ‘67 R611F (1003)and my ‘68 R608F (1006) both have the very small radiator with the side extension panels that look like closed shutters.  My ‘89 R688ST tractor of course has the full radiator/ATAAC setup. 

IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_5373.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 8:59 PM, mechohaulic said:

any one notice how "secure "fifth were mounted in the day ???  4 u=bolts or spring leave bolts if needed!!LOL  believe the flat stock from rear crossmember to fifth wheel plate was added to keep 5th wheel in position longer. dry freight not bad;;; up and down the narrow back roads of CT from farm to farm hauling milk 7 days a week put some pressure on the 5th wheel u-bolts. many yrs back it had a cab/hood off resto . still have (somewhere) the picture of that engine/ transmission all rebuilt and painted sitting on the back of my '77 F-350 flat bed after I finished the rebuild of both and bringing it to install .

Yeah, I've seen several trucks that had U-bolted fifth wheels where they welded blocks on the frame rails to keep them from shifting back and forth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

The radiator is tiny, I have never seen a R model with a small radiator, I think Australian R model  Macks all had the biggest radiator as standard 

Paul 

tiny radiator is basically a B model radiator and frame. early R's/DM's having small radiators will have the two side mounted "closed shutters" extensions taking up side gap.