Good morning gentlemen, new cabover owner

• South of Heaven changed the title to Good morning gentlemen, new cabover owner

Cool truck Jason,we bought a Cruiseliner a few weeks ago and couldnt get the cab to jack up.it turned out to be the hydraulic cab lock seals at the back of the cab.the seals were gone and the system would not build enough pressure to release the locks and let the cab raise.dont know if the MH has the same set up but that was our experence.the truck looks really great.

Paul

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 1:29 AM, South of Heaven said:

Good morning gentlemen. I'm Jason , I own a small trucking company and just bought a 1991 Mack MH 600 cabover to add to my fleet. It's got the 350 Cummins small cam with an 8 speed manual tranny.

I'm really excited! My mechanic is going through everything now. He just did the PM , all fresh oil in the differentials and new wheel seals , bearings and shoes on the drives.

Next hes gonna tackle an exhaust leak. He also fixed all the lights and fixed the wiper fluid pump that wasn't working. The AC is not working but we don't have time to dig into that right now.

Ok, now the fun stuff.... The cab lifter isn't working. He removed all the hydraulic lines and had the drivers side Piston rebuilt because it was leaking badly. That was a hassle... But after that the cab still won't lift. Hes removing the pump now and is taking it the same hydraulic guy. He thinks that needs a rebuild too and and maybe the check valve inside is bad.

Anyone have any experience with this??? I really wanna get this cab up because he doesn't wanna put the new fuel filters and then not be able to prime it.

TY

IMG_20240902_151006253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240902_151025654_HDR.jpg

Good to see a fellow MH guy. Jason, I just recently replaced my cab jack pump on my 93 MH. PowerPacker makes them and it was around $400  brand new.  https://ohiohydraulic.com/power-packer-hp50034204-hand-pump-4000psi-35ci-69-spindle/

Also, beware when putting new fluid in that system.  Don't mix hydraulic oils or use transmission fluid. It's recommended to use the military aerospace grade hydrulic oil MIL-H-5606A in that hydraulic system for the cab, especially if you are in cold winter area. This (or an equivalent)is technically the correct oil for that system.  It's kinda pricy,  but it's the recommended oil. I bought a gallons worth and they were super fast on shipping. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/hydfluid5606qt_09-27000.php

Edited by BottleHauler84

Being a '91 it should have a Big Cam NT88 so if it has a small cam the engine has been changed. By 1992 I think the N-14 was out. If a NT88 350 it will be a CPL 840, good engine, I had many miles on one.

When you get the cab up, post the CPL number off the engine tag, that will ID it.

If he pre filled the filter, it will start and clear itself. May run rough until the air is out, but I have changed a few from underneath. 

Make sure the safety latch drops in place with the cab up. Or get something to brace up the rear of the cab while you are under it. Don't trust just the lifting pump to hold it up. Just mentioning this for a friend............    .....Hippy

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Yes definitely make sure it's latched before you crawl under there! Check the cab hinges too and make sure they are in good shape and greased. 

Its a 30+ year mechanical motor so it takes some getting used to when your only around electronically controlled stuff. Check your boost pressure, it should be in the 20-30s depending on load. Macks don't let the fuel rack move much until there is boost so if there is a boost leak it could be your issue.

Being a 1991 it should have the E7. Very nice truck!

• Like 2

Its likely governed at 2100 rpm's.  E-7 will pull, just need to be patient.. much slower than many other trucks, especially the new trucks.

• Like 1

Macks are small cubic inch compared to cat/Cummins.  They don't drive the same, but will do the same job.  

Is the 8spd OD?  Likely has 4.17 gears and puts you about where you're at speed/rpm wise.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

one looks like fifth wheel slide or  jaw release. I don’t think they had those yet. It’s probably fifth wheel slide or like Bob says airbag dump possible I’m thinking it’s too old for that too. I see you got all kinds of good old steel toggle switches. I drive a brand new Peterbilt pretty much everything on the dashboard is plastic….. bob