2130 swap

Go to solution Solved by fjh,

• Solution
33 minutes ago, Tinman22 said:

So the 2090 finally decided to retire so I sent the 2130 out for a rebuild. Besides the obvious (clutch set,trans brake,rear main,cooler and lines,shift knob) is there anything I’m missing in the way of air controls?  No p.t.o.

Nope! Shift knob is your changed item!

• Like 1

the shift knob for the 2090 is different,  the 2130/2180. is the same tranny, the shift knob is the difference.   Red splitter: 13 spd....  Gray splitter: 18 spd.....

12 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

the shift knob for the 2090 is different,  the 2130/2180. is the same tranny, the shift knob is the difference.   Red splitter: 13 spd....  Gray splitter: 18 spd.....

I have heard that you can modify the 13 knob but have never done it myself!

yes you can, you have to take the knob apart ond cut the lock out the doesnt allow a low range split..  but the 18spd. knob was $65.00 back when I was doing this..  so why not buy the correct knob

does your truck have the neutralizing air control for P.T.O. operation?  if not, thats the wrong diagram.  I have all the Mack books for this but before, I post any thing that may ad confusion

so air is delivered in 2 spots because you have a range fork and a splitter fork.  both need air pressure on the ready. the pilot is what tells it to shift up or down.  the air supply to the DC-4 can come directly from the secondary tank with a protection valve, or you can steal air with a ''T'' fitting in the main air feed to the range valve.  I am not a Guru when trying to type this.  

• Like 1

That is what I will do then. I wonder why they want a double check valve with only one supply line? Doesn’t leave much to check. The diagram on the Bendix site shows it as a check valve between two feeds like a trolley brake and a foot brake allowing whichever has the higher pressure to operate the del side.

• Like 1

yes I feel sure you can..  you are just trying to have air pressure on the ready that will be used as the shift knob asks, when you select ranges..  there are 2 range shifters, so you need 2 supplies..  air dont care, it just needs to be delivered..  

• Like 1

I’m having a hard time getting a good part number for the early chrome round Mack 13 speed shift knob. It seems half the vendors say it’s the same as an Eaton fuller the others say it’s not while 1/3 say it’s good for both. Any help?

Edited by Tinman22

Whats up tinman?  still no luck finding the chrome knob?  i dont see why a generic one wont work,  if it doesnt have a low range lock out i would guess it would become an 18 spd.  2130/2180 is the same as far I can remember.. just the shift knob is different..   am i too simplistic?