Longshoremen chief negotiator - "I will cripple you"

kscarbel2

I will cripple you.

These people today don't know what a strike is. When my men hit the streets, from Maine to Texas, every single port will lock down... Everything in the United States comes on a ship.

First week, be all over the news every night, boom, boom. Second week, guys who sell cars can't sell cars because cars ain't coming in off the ships, they get laid off. Third week, malls start closing down, they can't get goods from China, they can't sell clothes.

Construction workers get laid off because the materials aren't coming in. The steel's not coming in. The lumber's not coming in. They lose their jobs. Everybody's hating the longshoremen now because now they realize how important our jobs are.

Harold Dagget - International Longshoremen's Association's chief negotiator

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I will cripple you.

These people today don't know what a strike is. When my men hit the streets, from Maine to Texas, every single port will lock down... Everything in the United States comes on a ship.

First week, be all over the news every night, boom, boom. Second week, guys who sell cars can't sell cars because cars ain't coming in off the ships, they get laid off. Third week, malls start closing down, they can't get goods from China, they can't sell clothes.

Construction workers get laid off because the materials aren't coming in. The steel's not coming in. The lumber's not coming in. They lose their jobs. Everybody's hating the longshoremen now because now they realize how important our jobs are.

Harold Dagget - International Longshoremen's Association's chief negotiator

Not everything in the US comes on a ship.  Not all cars come off a ship and the two I have will outlast his silly strike.  So will the clothes I already have.  Most of the malls have been closed for years.  Construction delays will not make much difference in my life, I have not purchased steel nor lumber in many years.  Sounds like a blowhard to me.  Maybe he'll hold his breath until he gets his way!

• Like 2

Tom, my short few years on the road taught me that too.. I would go to my truck and ask myself, What the 'F' did I get myself into???  Then I went local and pulled trailers for construction company and got cursed at every week.  I am not a dumba$$, just soft, and they knew it..  anyway..  all good now. 

• Like 2

not much of a comment here,,,,but god lovem for holding thier ground,,,more people need to do that,,,,,but if these selfish pigs,,,didnt send all of our good paying plant jobs out of here,,,,we wouldnt even be having this conversation,,,,and frankly,i dont know what the long shoremen are crying about so hard,,,,ive been hearing for years,,,they have always been paid very healthy...unless thier just making sure the higher ups they are on thier toes,and not going to settle for a contract  thats not within atleast the high cost of living.and rising..bob

• Like 2

Besides  I used to be a teamster years ago And I was asking one of the representatives about far-fetched demands and he told me no we don’t expect to get anything like that. We just shoot for High and settle for anything decent. They hand us kind of like selling a car you set up with a very high price not expecting to get it if you can get it fine and that made sense to me. I was just a very young guy back then.

Mark I think you’re trying to tell us allotta folks with everything don’t give a rats ass about the rest of us … he’ll of a mess they got down there… and appears to be way worse than any of us thought….. nothing any of us can say or do to ease thier unfortunate circumstances as we mentioned the media is not doing a whole lot of coverage but then again they probably can’t get in the troubled areas

• Like 1