Truck driver's daughter

Hello everyone. I grew up being a Truck driver's daughter up until I was in my mid teens when he went back to work for ROADWAY on the loading docks(this time). He drove for a few different companies in a few different trucks (Kennworth, Freightliner, and the ole(BULLDOG) Mack. Which is really the only one I remember. And for his memorial tattoo I want "his Ole Mack" and need a little help with identifying the year and model of the he drove. I have only been able to find the 1 picture of that tractor and it's still not exact because it doesn't have the sleeper. So if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20211205-024133.png

• Like 1
  • Like 1

sorry for your loss. 

as Paul said, that is an R model. they were made from 1966 to early 90's with around 360,000 being made over that span.

here is one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Ragman517/2008 July-Dec/100_1983.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I was thinking that it was an "R" model but was positive. I have spent quite a bit of time in that rabbit hole researching and trying to find more and better pictures. But that is only one I have found of "his". I have even tried emailing Mack company and Beelman (the company he worked for and owned the truck). 

The tattoo will be a process because I want the realistic front view of the tractor on the front of my leg (thigh) . Side veiw of tractor and dump trailer on outer (side) and back of trailer on the back side. With all his info (name, dates, and handle) incorporated through out. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Charmayne said:

It would have been an 80's model. And I want to think the sleeper was a smaller(But I could be wrong ). It's been like 25+ years lol. 

Hi,Id say there were a number of different sleepers offered as options.maybe some of the guys who have a lot of pictures could post them and you could pick the nearest one to your memory..

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseliner64 said:

Hi,Id say there were a number of different sleepers offered as options.maybe some of the guys who have a lot of pictures could post them and you could pick the nearest one to your memory..

Paul

Any and all pictures that anyone has would be helpful and greatly appreciated. 

He drove for Beelman in the late 80's-early 90's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 67RModel said:

In the 80s Mack did not make their own sleepers or build trucks with integral sleepers until the CH model came out. A buyer or company would have to have an after market unit installed after they purchased the truck or possibly the dealer could have before they delivered it to the customer. Because of this the sleeper could have been from a variety of makers. The two most common brands that got put on Macks of that time were Able Body and Rest Rite. But like I said the sleeper at that time could have been anything. I think Geography played a big role on what sleeper got put on a Mack back in those days. Where was Beelman from?

That sleeper looks like what he had. 

Beelman is a St. Louis company but dad's shop/yard was in Ste Genevieve, MO. 

• Like 2

Vlad,

I remember reading years ago when you posted the pics of your R model. It is a real beauty and fine example of a Canadian R model. Wasn't it a Sgt Transport or something like that? Wish I had it.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2024 at 1:27 PM, Vladislav said:

Hi,

Here's a picture of my R-model Mack. The truck was made in 1988 in Canada and had its sleeper installed at a dealership. As guys said above in the US R-models were mostly used for local operations and construction works. So typically were not eqiupped with sleepers. Canada seems being another story and my truck was a highway tractor. I hope the overall look will help you in your project.

Vlad

July.Aug.2017 116.jpg

Saw a lot of R models with sleepers in Canada back in the 90's and before. Now I can't remember the carriers names that used to run them.  

• Like 1

My '77 R model had a 30" crawl thru. My wife and l ran NH-ME to and from Baltimore, DC, Richmond, and Columbus for 2.5 years. lt was a team effort to get in and out of the bunk. lol You know. . . back when it was fun!    .....Hippy  

• Like 1

I’ve ran  a lot of sleepers, but never a crawl through that small and yes, I remember when trucks like that where everywhere with that air shield I’m thinking it was a freight hauling outfit with a fleet of them

That’s really weird. That’s the last thing I would’ve thought you would have said yes definitely from the photograph. It looks real clean. Good luck it sounds like you got it all covered.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

My '77 R model had a 30" crawl thru. My wife and l ran NH-ME to and from Baltimore, DC, Richmond, and Columbus for 2.5 years. lt was a team effort to get in and out of the bunk. lol You know. . . back when it was fun!    .....Hippy  

that's where the name "suicide sleeper " came from :: a bit to get in , and if an emergency arose ,, anyone in the sleeper was a done deal; couldn't get out in time.

On 10/6/2024 at 2:27 PM, Vladislav said:

Hi,

Here's a picture of my R-model Mack. The truck was made in 1988 in Canada and had its sleeper installed at a dealership. As guys said above in the US R-models were mostly used for local operations and construction works. So typically were not eqiupped with sleepers. Canada seems being another story and my truck was a highway tractor. I hope the overall look will help you in your project.

Vlad

July.Aug.2017 116.jpg

before the days of walk in sleepers.  C O E's having extended sleeper room had drom boxes. nice looking unit. picture of days gone bye. the better days ,

• Like 2